Longeron connections and frame notches

Moderators: mje, krudave

MGGRADY
forum fanatic

Longeron connections and frame notches

Post by MGGRADY »

I’ve got a Folbot Aleut. After a few uses, I became aware of the fact that my hull was not stretched tightly near the fore and aft crossmembers, A & C. I could push my longerons out of their notches easily. In fact, they would sometimes pop out unexpectedly. I didn’t like the idea of strapping them in place with Velcro or something like that, so I took a different approach. I decided to relocate the longeron notches outboard to tighten the skin.

These adjustable notch plates are made of ½” acetal. The crossframes are shimmed with 3/16 acetal that is glued on with Aquaseal to provide a flat surface for clamping the notch plates.

At the same time, I made some inserts for the ends of my longerons to help me align them while I was assembling the frame. I cut ¼” off the ends of the forward longerons. The inserts have a 1/8” wide shoulder. The extra 1/8” that I cut off just made them easier to connect. The inserts have a tapped hole down the center that makes them easier to remove if I need to do that. They are made of ¾” diameter acetal and go into the tubing ends (tight fit) about ¾”.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HoosierPaddler
forum fanatic

Re: Longeron connections and frame notches

Post by HoosierPaddler »

Very impressive. Really much of a Folbot can be fabricated or improved with some time and thought. Its the hull that remains the toughest part. Someone is going to reverse engineer it at some point :)

Arrow71
paddler

Re: Longeron connections and frame notches

Post by Arrow71 »

A fella in England is producing new skins/hull when one sends him the frame

Return to “Folbots”