Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:10 am 
recent arrival

My friend has a 17' Folbot Greenland II two seater kayak (not sure of the year). It was taken out into the ocean and was not properly cleaned and packed after use. A few days later when we went to properly store it, we saw that some of the covering/shell material is stuck together. My guess is the salt has created a weak adhesion between the covering that we need to use some solvent to dissolve. Has this ever happened to anyone? If so, any ideas or tips would be sincerely appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:56 am 
Site Admin

If it's salt that's causing the adhesion, I would recommend flooding it with warm water.

I once bought a used Aleut that had obviously been put away wet many months before, and there were no problems with parts of the skin and hull sticking, so it's not likely there's been any actual damage to the skin or coating itself.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:34 pm 
recent arrival

Our assumption is that it is just the salt causing the adhesion. We tried both tap and highly chlorinated pool water (room temp only) to see if it could dissolve the salt.

We were considering isopropyl alcohol or hydrogen peroxide in case there was some organic or calcified material from the ocean water that was causing it. We did not think it would hurt the cover, but any other opinions would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

If a long soak in water didn't separate it, something else is going on. Maybe some organic material got on the boat. I'd start with hot water.

I don't think alcohol will harm the fabrics or coatings. Stronger solvents might. Toluene is the solvent for Aquaseal and is often used to prepare Hypalon surfaces for gluing but it might attack the deck. Proceed with caution.