Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:03 pm 
recent arrival

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I recently bought a 2nd hand Folbot which I believe is a old Greenland II (Seller mentioned about 15 years old).
As a newbie to folding kayak I was not aware how challenging it is to restore/fix a broken kayak, until I got all the parts and try to put everything together :(
I found my Folbot has a lot of cracks on the Poly-carbonate cross frames, and other major plastic parts, seems like all the plastic parts (some sort of glass filled plastic) are very brittle, I can easily break them(very concerned even the several non-broken plastic parts may not even able to handle even normal uses)...
I've attached some photos of the broken parts, would love to hear any advice on how to fix them.... One easy way of course is to get replacement parts, so if you have some please PM me! Most needed are the 2X Bow, and a broken unidentified piece (see the image).

Attachment:
20170703214600.jpg

Attachment:
20170703214616.jpg

Thanks,
-Larry

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:58 pm 
forum fanatic

Hi Larry,

I am parting my Greenland 2. Although I would prefer to sell larger part assemblies I may also be open to selling the specific parts you need.

Not sure how the polycarbonate frame components on your boat became so brittle. It could be due to the way the boat was stored (UV exposure?), age, or handling. The polycarbonate parts on my boat have been fine. Only one crossframe was replaced recently with a new aluminum part.

PM for details if interested and we can take it from there.

2003 Feathercraft Big Kahuna - Red/Black
2009 Folbot Kiawah EXP - Yellow/Black
2015 Folbot Kiawak - Yellow/White
1990's Folbot Greenland 2 - Yellow/Black (sold)

Last edited by vitaly on Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:03 pm 
forum fanatic

P.S. The broken piece in your 2nd photo is a crossframe. All crossframes are numbered and of slightly different dimensions.

2003 Feathercraft Big Kahuna - Red/Black
2009 Folbot Kiawah EXP - Yellow/Black
2015 Folbot Kiawak - Yellow/White
1990's Folbot Greenland 2 - Yellow/Black (sold)

Last edited by vitaly on Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:30 pm 
recent arrival

Thank you very much for the reply, Vitaly! Will DM you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:06 pm 
forum fanatic

Looks like your G2 has been run over by a truck. I have had success in repairing broken frames by welding with a soldering iron. My soldering iron is the instant heat gun type using a copper loop heated by current from a transfomer so allows a measure of temperature control using the trigger. You want to melt the plastic without burning it.
Cheers Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:56 am 
recent arrival

Jim, I'm interested in your use of a soldering gun to repair polycarbonate cross frames. I need to repair a break on my number 6 (rear seat) on my Greenland II. Break is up near the top behind the backrest.
What did you use as the solder?
I was planning on using some bonding agent to "glue" it and then attach a splint of some sort... soldering sounds much easier!
Fritz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:56 am 
forum fanatic

Hi Fritz.
No solder necessary. You are using the heat from the iron to melt the plastic and allowing it to fuse together. I have repaired the frame like yours behind the front back rest. I riveted some aluminium bar across it as well as the weld as it is a high load area but was surprised by how well the weld held.
Cheers Jim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:01 pm 
faltbootemeister

That's a good call on the composition of the frame. It is in fact glass-filled, polycarbonate.

I've never seen or heard of one going bad like that. Cracks yes, even a break occasionally. But yours looks like it's been "poisoned" by something chemical to make it brittle and crumbly.

UV is hard on most plastics but you'd have to leave a Folbot frame out in the sun for years for that kind of breakdown to occur.

Looks to me like your only trustworthy fix is to find frame pieces from others here or eBay.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:56 am 
recent arrival

I have had good luck with JB Weld (the original) and some fiberglass. You will need to go past the break points by a couple of inches or more on the frame which will add some bulk. I figure if mine break I will either make a new one out of marine plywood or get one machined out of aluminum using the original as a pattern.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:58 am 
recent arrival

I have a mid 1990 Greenland II. Looking for ideas on parts. Unfortunately I left the back cross piece that connects the back of the washboards on the beach on my last trip. Looking to see if.someone has that part for.sale Also Looking for a pdf of the parts breakdown.