Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for
It is currently Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:33 pm 
recent arrival

Does anyone have a diagram showing how to pack the skin, ribs, seat cushions, back cushion and life jackets for the Greenland II. I can get everything in, but it is tighter than I like.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:58 am 

If you can get the boat AND two lifejackets into the long and short bags, I'd like to see how. The long bag seems to have plenty of room but my short bag is tight. I have the mesh-covered foam seats, which do not pack efficiently as they are too large to sit side-by-side in the short bag.

One trick that Ann taught me: once skin and ribs and perhaps more are in the short bag, zip both sides of the bag a few inches or so, at least until the slides are past the first corners. Grab the carry handles, lift to vertical, and shake the bag up and down a few times. Magically, more space appears.

I have the big "D" rudder, which I place in the long bag, between longerons, in the middle of the frame bundle so that the yoke arms do not protrude. Ann keeps her rudder in the short bag, between skin folds, with the yoke just outside the skin.

Ann and me
Folbots: Too many. It's embarrassing.
Feathercraft: Aeronaut
Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:32 am 

Good advice Tim.
I took pics of my GII when it arrived back in 2004. I'll have to try to find them.
I have replaced one of the stock seats with an AirFom and still can get everything in the hull bag. It's a challenge. Shaking things down is a good idea.

Five Folbots - Super TSF, two GIIs, Kodiak, Gremlin