Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:56 pm 
forum fan

I need three repair parts for my 1993 Folbot Aleut. The most important is one of the plastic (nylon?) plates that the rib locks into. I assume they are identical throughout the boat, but if it matters, my broken one is on one of the stern frame side sections. I also could use both sets of frame spreaders.

I think I can repair all of them, but if I can buy these pieces inexpensively, I'd be happy to pay for shipping to Ohio.

Alternatively, if anyone has experience repairing a broken locking plate, I'd be interested in hearing your method. I had thought about buying a piece of light aluminum plate and after duplicating the shape of the broken piece, riveting and gluing the aluminum to the broken one.

Also, I bought a Folbot Yukon expedition kit off Amazon last summer after being told by the previous owner that the boat was a Yukon. I want to sell the rudder and associated parts that came in the kit as they don't fit my boat. I paid $270 for the package, which included a spray skirt, which I had modified to fit my boat, and an emergency repair kit which I am keeping. I'm open to offers that include the cost of shipping from Cincinnati to your location.

Thanks,

Fritz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:28 pm 
faltbootemeister

I have a broken plastic plate as well, from the narrow end of the slot to the opposite side of the plate. Mine is in the forward keelson. I was thinking of epoxying light aluminum sheeting, then perhaps using screws and nuts as well. I have a couple of concerns about this repair method.

The brass pegs on the crossribs on all of my Folbots pull at the plastic plates. The plastic plates bend a bit in response. Is that bending engineered into the design? If my repair is inflexible will it put undue stress on pegs and rivets? Will an inflexible plate make assembly difficult? Will one inflexible plate result in a misshapen assembled boat? Just thinking out loud here.

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:26 am 
faltbootemeister

I have some used keel and side plates (they are the same) of the old style. They are polycarbonate but I don't know if they are new enough to be glass filled.
They are from a 2004 boat so should be identical to what you need.
PM or email me if you're interested.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:15 pm 
forum fan

Quote:
I have some used keel and side plates (they are the same) of the old style. They are polycarbonate but I don't know if they are new enough to be glass filled.
They are from a 2004 boat so should be identical to what you need.
PM or email me if you're interested.

I'm interested in a couple. I've emailed you.

Fritz