Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:01 pm 
recent arrival

I purchased a used 1999 Folbot Aleut “AF1” and need advice on the application of a sealant on the skin. I have been told that there is a pinhole leak that needs repair. Any advice on how to do this? [I purchased the kayak and Yakima room rack for $300 so I cannot complain if Inhav to do a bit of work on it.]

Also, any recommendations on good flotation bladders for it?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

A leak in the hull should be patched from both sides, using hypalon raft patches. You can get these from inflatable boat and raft sellers; I like NRS.com if it’s truly a pinhole, with no tears in the fabric, you could get by with Aquaseal.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:28 am 
forum fanatic

Michael is spot on. IF you can find AquaSeal +NEO, this is a version that is for hypalon and neoprene. It comes in a black color. It does have a different consistency then regular AquaSeal. You will make sure you clean the area around the hole (outside and inside the hull), before you apply either AquaSeal or AquaSeal +NEO. You should be able to find either at an outdoor gear shop, hunting store or dive shop.

HoosierPaddler
GIIx2, Kodiak x2, Edisto, Citibot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:41 pm 
recent arrival

Thanks for the advice. One more question: I figured out how to put the 1999 Folbot Aleut together over the weekend, and discovered mold in tubes leading to both sponsons. Any recommendations on how to deal with this without damaging the sponsons themselves?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:25 am 
faltbootemeister

A cheap Folbot needing hull repair can become an expensive time-consuming project if you follow the NRS repair instructions.

https://www.nrs.com/repair/hypalon_repair.asp

For Folbots with smooth (or lightly pebbled, but not matte) black Hypalon hulls produced in the 1990s until about 2003, I have had sucess with an easier, cheaper method. I have used this method to repair cuts and abrasions but not to repair leaks. For a pinhole leak you might give it a try.

You'll need rubber gloves, scissors, a bicycle inner tube, a solvent (toluene, acetone, I have even used rubbing alcohol in the field), and superglue gel.

Cut a rounded-corner patch from the bicycle inner tube.

Clean the area to be patched and both sides of the patch using solvent. (In the field I have successfully patched without solvent, though I had pre-cleaned the patch to remove the powder.)

Apply superglue gel to the hull and to the patch.

Place the patch on the hull.

At first the patch will want to pull up from the hull. Press on the patch with moving gloved fingers until the superglue cures. Superglue requires a few minutes to cure. It cures fastest under hot and humid conditions.

After the superglue gel holding the patch has cured, apply superglue gel to the top side and edges of the patch. Allow to cure.

You are done. I usually allow the boat to sit overnight before using.

Not everyone agrees with using this method. I expect others will post opposing views. All I can say is that 4-year-old patches are still holding.

Superglue gel is a bit brittle. Still, no patch has let go. I recently experimented with a flexible cyanoacrylate (cyanoacrylate is the chemical name for superglue) from Starbond. So far so good.

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:40 am 
forum fanatic

Can you post some pictures of the mold? I wonder if it would help to turn the hull completely inside out to be able to see everything and easily get to it.

I know there are some pre-made mold cleaning sprays made for RVs and boat applications. You might check your local auto parts and boat shops.

Hoosier Paddler
GIIx2, Kodiak x2, Edisto, and Citibot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:31 am 
recent arrival

The only place where there is mold is in the clear plastic tubes which one needs to blow into to inflate the sponsons.

I’ll take a few pictures tonight when I get home and post them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:20 pm 
forum fanatic

Well that is interesting. I can see where inflation can cause some moisture from your breathe to enter there. I guess if they were left inflated and there were actually some holes, that mold might occur. I'm not really sure. I don't know how you would clean the inside of the sponsons. I was thinking you were talking about the sleeves that they slide into on each side.

You win for having the most curious Folbot topic for the day.