Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:16 am 
recent arrival

I rescued a old Folbot from my Dads barn that was being cleaned out because they sold the family homestead. It was in the dumpster, but something told me to go back and get it. It had been in the barn since I was a kid, about 45 years! For some reason I never took it off of the loft to check it out. Well, I brought the frame parts home, and without instructions I cleaned and assembled it. It appears that all the parts are here, and what a awesome design. See pictures in link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nshwc2nzf7lu ... 7C5wa?dl=0

After assembling it I could not believe how cool it was and decided that I needed to recover the canvas cover from the dumpster before it was picked up in the morning. I think the canvas was the reason me and my friends didn't try to play with this as kids. It was nasty! Mice had taken residence in the bag it smelled really bad. I have since brought it home, opened it up and power washed it. It has some holes in the top side canvas, and the waterproof coating has cracks in it, but I'm pretty sure it would float.

I took the frame apart to insert the bow and stern sections. They both slid in nicely and fit snug to the canvas.

Now here is my problem...When I try to install the rest of the frame I found that the canvas skin is about 15" too short. I have heard of the skins shrinking, but I don't believe it could shrink that much.

My dad was given this boat in the early 70's, and he never used it. After researching I think I have a 1947'ish frame with a 1970's canvas (shorter model).

I have attached a link with pictures that hopefully will help someone out there to identify what I have.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nshwc2nzf7lu ... 7C5wa?dl=0

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:56 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

The frame looks to be in excellent condition. If you can tell us the length and width of the frame and I suppose the skin, this might help. A long time user of Folbots might be able to give a possible date for the frame as it has lightening holes in the bow piece. I don,t know of anyone who makes replacement skins for Folbots, Although there could be a market. But you can make one as this is well worth doing and there will be info available to help. Another more experienced member might be able to give better assistance.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:46 pm 
forum fan

Looks like a really old Super (if that is what they were called at that time) made while Folbot was still in New York. I believe I saw some where in an older post a short rundown on when some of the changes were made over the years. I seem to remember a comment about the ladder floor construction. Can't remember just which post. I know it can take some time to go through all of the old posts. To bad we don't have some type of summary of the changes over the years and an easy way to find the summary.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:28 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

It's a really old folding Super. What would later be called a TSF but it predates that designation.