Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Folbot Where to begin?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:59 am 
recent arrival

Hello,
This past weekend I inherited a two person Folbot that was built in 1970. it is not the folding kind, it was originally built from a kit. It has been used quite a bit over the decades and needs some work before I can put it back on the water. I was told the hull leaks and there is some wood rot to the the frame in one place and the seats are dry rotten.

What kind of Folbot do I have (See image attached) what is the best way to find and repair hull leaks. Also, what is the best way to repair tears on the top? overall for the age, I think it is in good shape for it's age. I want to sand and refinish the wood, repair/replace the dry rot and replace any worn out hardware like screws.
Are there any assembly instructions that might help me take it apart to restore it?

Thank you for any help!

badlnb

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:30 am 
faltbootemeister

Hello, welcome. Sorry that you have no responses yet, this is a fairly quiet forum, probably more so in winter. Someone will come along and answer, or you may find help in old posts. If not you might also try the WoodenBoat Forum, there is interest there in Skin On Frame boats. Do let us know how it works out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:04 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I am not an expert on Folbot,s. To help can you tell us the length and width of the boat, at least I can look in catalogs to narrow the choices down. To find leaks in the hull first, clean the hull and if you are lucky when doing it you might find any holes or slits. If you don,t you will have to carefully inspect the hull. Have a pen or marker so you can mark a circle on any places that might leak. If the hull is clean and dry a temporary patch could be put on using Gorilla tape, round the corners and add a patch on the inside at the same place if you can. The covering is probably vinyl perhaps on the bottom and on the top, you can probably obtain some vinyl and suitable adhesive, a search on line might help. The wood, as this looks like a rigid Folbot and not a folder replacing a cross piece may be difficult so consider making a splint to go along side the rotted part. If it was a folder you could make a new cross piece. Now a very experienced member might come in and offer better advice, but most things can be repaired with a little common sense and look at each suggestion to see if they really apply.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:25 am 
forum fanatic

Looks like a Super to me. The deck is a separate skin to the hull which is likely to be two layers glued together. The "join" between the hull and deck is actually an overlap where the edges are overlapped and hidden by the alloy rubbing strip. A major overhaul would involve removing the rubbing strips and untacking the edges of both hull and deck. These can then be removed to reveal the frame. It is unlikely you could reuse the old skin so be prepared to source an equivalent modern PVC fabric and re-skin your kayak. The tricky bit is the ends where a slit has to be made below the waterline to get the taper to a sharp point. You can see how this is done by examining the ends of the old skin. A strip of material is glued over the overlapped and glued edges. Modern PVC glues as used in the shoe industry make this a not too difficult job. There are a few tricks like getting the bias of the reinforcing mesh in the strip of PVC correct so you can stretch it lengthwise over the curve in the rounded ends. Stretching allows the edges of the strip to pull in and contact the hull material ready for gluing. Heating stubborn nail heads with a soldering iron makes them easier to remove. Use monel staples and copper/bronze boat building nails as these won't corrode.
The frame can be repaired with wooden strips and epoxy glue. Give her a few coats of polyurethane before re-skinning. There are products like everdure that can preserve suspect area that aren't too bad.
These kayaks are pretty heavy so try and minimise extra weight. The new skin should be much lighter.
Good luck.
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:44 am 
forum fanatic

I should have added Flatwater is the man when it comes to Folbot achives. Check out:
http://jeeps-folbots-etc.co.nf/folbot/M ... nuals.html
Cheers Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:59 pm 
paddler

I recovered my deck with vinyl. Got some nice 2 axis stretchy stuff from www.bigduckcanvas.com
Removed the old deck and all the copper nails that held it. Then I removed about 30% of the nails holding the hull fabric on, and shot Monel staples in to replace.
Removed and replaced another 30%, you get the idea. Ended up with the hull all tacked on with Monel staples.

Pulled on the new material and stapled it on. It isnt easy, it isnt hard. Overlap the hull fabric, pulling taut, and staple away. I didnt seal between deck and hull fabrics. Mounted the rub rail with short screws, then ran a pen on the extra deck fabric. Cut away the excess above the marked line. Made another pass with staples, tapped any high strays with a hammer, and attached the rub rail with longer screws to bite fresh wood.

I skipped the decorative center strips.

https://carolinadualsporters.files.word ... m_0667.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:22 am 
faltbootemeister

It looks great! Thanks for the details.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:07 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

The above link to my site is no longer valid. Biz.nf pulled the plug on hosting with no notification. Just a few days ago my site went dark. Surprise!

I've moved to a new host.
Here's the new link for the collection of assembly and build manuals.
http://jeeps-folbots-etc.epizy.com/folb ... nuals.html