Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:18 pm 
recent arrival

Hey guys, hoping for some help. I just found this sweet pre-loved (not very) Folbot Kiawah. The bag is missing the backpack straps, so I am hoping someone knows what I can replace them with. It's a quick release buckle on the top, and D-ring on the bottom for the straps. Maybe any way to make my own? How can I figure out what buckle can go into the existing female buckle part on the bag?

Also wonder what material the hull is made of (black in colour), it looks and feels different from my Greenland II that is the old model with plastic ribs?

photo here

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:37 pm 
faltbootemeister

You probably could make your own straps, check youtube. But I would search for a used backpack and salvage the straps. Yard sales, thrift stores, military surplus or ebay.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:53 am 
recent arrival

By the way, it is the same bag that comes with Cooper. Maybe someone has one with pictures of the quick release buckle profiles?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:07 pm 
forum fanatic

Scapevision,

Could you post a picture of the hardware you are trying to match? Preferably next to a ruler/tape measure for scale. "Quick release buckle" may mean different things to different readers.

If it is a bayonet style buckle, a detailed pic of the bayonets or slots of the female end can often distinguish the brand. For replacement ideas, many significant outdoor professionals use ITW NEXUS and National Molding brand hardware for plastic bits. In my personal experience of a few decades, they work great at the loads they were designed for and handle UV and salt water quite well. You can find them online through tactical equipment retailers, maybe REI.

If the female end of the buckle is sewn to the pack, I have had good luck cutting out the plastic buckle, leaving the sewn webbing in place, and attaching a buckle designed for retrofitting. A carabiner or gated D-ring can also effect a quick repair through the sewn on webbing and end of the strap. For stainless steel, metal D-rings, check out animal tack and agricultural supply stores like Tandy, Tractor Supply Company, etc...

Cheers,

Kevin

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kevin

Long Haul MK II Stretch Quattro
BSD Expedition Schooner Rig
Best Kayaking Partner In The World