Cooper skin shifts to one side once built

Moderators: mje, krudave

Icantswim
forum fan

Cooper skin shifts to one side once built

Post by Icantswim »

Hello,

I have a Folbot Cooper and when I have finished putting it together and inflating the sponsons the front of the boat always shifts to one side. The Stern stays perfectly centered and looks great but the skin on the bow looks funny. I've tried loosening the tensioner and resetting the skin but the results are always the same. I bought the boat second hand and it is in great shape but I cant seem to keep the skin centered at the front.

Jeremiah
faltbootemeister

Re: Cooper skin shifts to one side once built

Post by Jeremiah »

If you haven't tried this already, alternate sides when blowing up the sponsons, a little at a time, and making adjustments to the frame as you go. I have a Cooper with a somewhat similar problem. The stern deck was fine and the bow deck had a twist that I could never straighten out. It was more the look of it that bothered me, minor enough to live with, and the kayak tracked beautifully.

Icantswim
forum fan

Post by Icantswim »

Thanks for getting back to me. I'll give that technique a try. Its as you mentioned - the stern was perfect but the front section is always shifted to one side. The boat still tracks great but it looks a bit funny.

Cheers,

Greg

Christov10
forum fanatic

Post by Christov10 »

I had an irregularly or asymmetrically sewn skin (the sponson sleeves were off kilter) on a Pouch E68. Boat tracked and handled properly but the crooked visual drove me nuts. As the previous poster said, try inflating a little each side until the sponsons are tight. That typically fixes the problem. Additionally, it's possible you made a frame assembly error. Good luck.

Return to “Folbots”