Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:25 pm 
forum fan

I took the family out in the Super TSF this weekend (i would post a photo, but I can't figure out how others here have done that). The boat is in great shape, the skin doesn't show any scrapes or wear.

1) The blue deck fabric (no deck stripe) is good, but I noticed that it let some of the regular paddling drips through the fabric and into the boat. What is the suggested treatment for the deck fabric?

2) The deck to hull join had some old sealant in the seam, but it had turned yellow, cracked and has largely fallen out. Once I clean the old crud out of the seam, what is the recommended seam sealer for the deck to hull join?

3) The hull is black and in excellent shape. How can I tell what the material is? What is the recommended treatment for the hull?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:48 pm 
Site Admin

I’m pretty sure all the Folbots of that era have a PVC hull. I’d give it a yearly treatment with 303.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:49 pm 
forum fan

Thanks mje.

Searching the interwebs, I’ve found the following advice for maintaining dinghies and boat covers. Since there’s little online support for current folders, and almost nothing online for older folders, other marine related maintenance suggestions will have to do...

1) For most marine canvas, both natural or synthetic like our classic folder decks, 303 Fabric Guard seems to be the go-to product for fabric protection and water repellency. There are more choices regarding cleaners and prep products, but 303 Multi-surface Cleaner seems like a good companion to the 303 FG.

2) No good answers about deck to hull seam sealers, but with my experience with sailboats, you may not want to permanently glue things together that you really only want to seal. I have also learned that silicone can cause plenty of long term problems by preventing future adhesion of sealants or paint, so I no longer bring silicone near my sailboats. Still looking for a suggestion, but I’m thinking about one of the Boat Life products or an equivalent.

3) Thanks for the update on my old hull material being vinyl/PVC. I can do a solvent test to confirm. But like the woven fabric treatments mentioned above, 303 Aerospace Protectant is the recommended product for rubber, vinyl, or Hypalon, basically all of our various classic hull materials. And again, 303 Multi-surface Cleaner appears to be an effective and compatible prep product.

If I come up with my own suggestion for a deck to hull seam sealer, I’ll post it here.