Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: re-gluing endcaps?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:04 am 
forum fan

While I was rinsing the boat after this weekend’s adventure and spreading it out to dry, I noticed that the rubber endcaps are lifting away from the hull, more at the stern than the bow. What is the appropriate adhesive for re-gluing the endcaps?

Post subject: Re: re-gluing endcaps?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:47 pm 
forum fanatic

I have glued a Feathercraft end cap with Aquaseal a few years ago. Still holding no problem.

Rigid surfski (Epic V10sport)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:59 pm 
forum fan

it appears that there are different aqua seal products out there. aqua seal neo, aqua seal fd, aqua seal repair adhesive, and then there are the options with accelerator.

any suggestions on which might be better for my folbot black hull material? does anyone know what the folbot black hull material is?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:19 pm 
forum fan

So it appears that the older Folbots like mine had black vinyl/PVC hulls.

Given the various AquaSeal products available today, it appears that Aquaseal FD (flexible durable) adhesive is the go-to adhesive for various hull repairs. It is good for rubber, vinyl/PVC, Hypalon, and urethane, virtually all the various materials that have been used for folder hulls over the years. Aquaseal FD take 8-12 hours to fully cure and is for permanent repairs. An accelerator is available to reduce the cure time to 2 hours.

Aquaseal UV is available for quick field repairs to pin holes and such. The adhesive is activated by sunlight and cures in seconds.

Aquaseal SR (shoe repair) is a thicker product that allows for buildup as well as working as an permanent adhesive. This might be used to repair nicks and gouges in thicker rubber parts like hull endcaps.

Aquaseal NEO (neoprene) adhesive cures in about 20 minutes, but is not permanent. Cured NEO can be removed using solvents but may still be useful for field repairs that will be re-done back at the shop under controlled conditions with appropriate materials.

All of these products have a un-opened shelf life of 4 years. Once opened, the shelf life is 3 to 6 months, depending on how well you store it.

All of these products are available at a reasonable price from Amazon and other on-line merchants. In person, Walmart and other water-sports merchants may have some, if not all, of these products when you can’t wait for delivery.

In answer to my original question, I will be using Aquaseal FD to re-glue my Folbot hull endcaps. Thanks for the lead, kayakspearo.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:26 am 
forum fanatic

Aquaseal (FD), duct tape and tie wraps take care of 99% of field repairs!!! :D

Rigid surfski (Epic V10sport)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:02 pm 
paddler

Quote:
While I was rinsing the boat after this weekend’s adventure and spreading it out to dry, I noticed that the rubber endcaps are lifting away from the hull, more at the stern than the bow.

@ewdysar
Could you please post some photos of what you had? I think I might have the same issue, but not sure what they are supposed to be like.

Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:24 pm 
forum fan

I would love to post some photos, but I can’t seem to figure out how. I know it can be done, one of the new introductions has imbedded photos, but when I try, it doesn’t work.

edit: here’s the thread from yesterday that contains photos viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8293

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:03 am 
paddler

I just wanted to see what those end caps lifting away the hull. Looks like the old way was to upload the photos into an external storage and share the links.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:00 pm 
faltbootemeister

I believe Aqua seal went through a name change to Aqua seal FD within the last couple of years. The product is the same. Using the cotol accelerant seems to me to improve adhesion. I have also thinned Aqua Seal with straight toluene, acetone, and also rubbing alcohol. Aqua seal will not adhere for a few minutes, so pieces to be joined should be held together. While it is thick right out of thr tube it will run until cured, especially if thinned.

Your hull is vinyl. I have not had good luck getting Aqua seal to stick to the Hypalon hulls that came later. It sticks fine to the modern polyester decks.

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6