Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:45 pm 
paddler

I have a newer edition of GII with what seems to be the original 250 aluminum paddles. They are kind of heavy to be used on a longer trips.

Does anybody have any suggestions of what would be a good replacement? Size, material, blade size etc.

I am 5"10' and my wife is smaller.

Thank you
--Alex

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:02 pm 
forum fanatic

I think the original paddles are longer than 250. The problem you will find is in just finding any paddles longer than 230 without have to order them. I think I bought some carbon, 4 piece paddles from Aquabound, but the longest they had was 250. I can paddle from the rear seat with 230, but I need to be up a little higher to help keep me (6"1') from occasionally knocking my knuckles on the cockpit coaming. This is despite years using a 230.

I would get the longest, lightest paddles you can find and afford. Instantly makes the paddling experience better. Your wife will benefit from have more cushions to something to improve her heigth in relation to the cockpit coaming.

HoosierPaddler
GIIx4, Kodiakx2, Edisto, and Citibot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:17 am 
Site Admin

Using more torso rotation along with arm movement allows you to use a shorter paddle. I think we use a 230 and 240 in our AII.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:57 pm 
paddler

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to get a Adventure Technology Quest 240cm paddle for my wife to try; found a good deal on it. If that does not work out for her, I can return it. I will keep the original aluminum one for myself for now as I sit at stern.

Regards
--Alex

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:57 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

My favourite paddle for my Aerius 2 is one by Nautiride it is called Eskimo. It,s worth looking at for the future, it has a nice slender blade. I am sure you will find the paddles that you will be using do in fact do the job ok, once you get your strokes to match, I found separate boats a better option.