Folbot Yukon and Aleut Share Frames

Moderators: mje, krudave

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Folbot Yukon and Aleut Share Frames

Post by JohnSand »

I didn't assemble the boats today, but I did compare the frames and they are identical. So anyone needing a frame for one of those models can use one from the other.

mje
Site Admin

Re: Folbot Yukon and Aleut Share Frames

Post by mje »

You might want to measure those again. I have both, and the Aleut is 12’, the Yukon, 13’. The Yukon also has a longer cockpit, and the spacing of the ribs/crossframe on the two boats is different.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

JohnSand

Post by JohnSand »

Yes, I know the Yukon is longer, it makes sense that the frame spacing is different on the longer boat, it would have to be. I'm only referring to the plastic frames, not the longerons. I laid each A, B, C frame on top of the same from the other boat, they match. This makes sense to me for manufacturing economy. In small wooden boat building, it is common to offer the same same design in several lengths by simply varying the frame spacing. Check yours the next time you have them out, or unzip the bag and compare them. I think you'll find that they are identical.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Ah, when you wrote “the frames” you were referring to the ribs. “Frame” usually refers to the entire internal structure in these boats, although some refer to the ribs as crossframes.
Michael Edelman

JohnSand

Post by JohnSand »

Good point, thanks. Most of my experience is with wooden boats, in which frames run athwartships, and stringers run lengthwise. Sorry I wasn't clear.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Strictly speaking, you were correct. It can get very confusing. Folding Kayak nomenclature doesn’t often adhere to traditional wooden boat nomenclature and perhaps we should. Is is the cockpit rim, the coaming, or the gunwhales? Longerons or stringers? Is the hull the waterproof bit, or the entire skin?
Michael Edelman

JohnSand

Post by JohnSand »

If you think it would be helpful, please edit the thread title to "... Share Cross Frames".
Thanks, John

Return to “Folbots”