Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:20 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I just got an email this morning that the 2013 Kayak Fishing Classic at Jamaica Bay will be held on May 16-19 this year. Apparently it's always the weekend after Mother's Day at Floyd Bennet Field in Brooklyn, NY.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12350.shtml

Thursday is a set-up camp and pre-fish day with the actual fishing tournament running from noon on Friday till noon on Sunday. Fishing is limited to daylight hours each day.

This years info isn't up yet, but here is last years link:

http://www.captainkayak.com/tournaments.html

I hope to be there. I'm not really sure how much fishing I'm going to do and am considering doing the 'fly' only aspect. I really want to explore Jamaica Bay and this seems like a good venue to do it. I'm hoping the Kayaksailor will get me around in the Aerius II for lot's of adventure and maybe some low energy trolling.

Unless some of you guys show up I'm not going to be surprised if I'm the only folder there. So put it on your calendar.

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:01 pm 
forum fan

That sounds great. I'm not a fisherman myself (despite having worked on purse seiners chasing salmon in my youth). Folding kayaks and flopping fish on metal hooks seem like a bad combination.

Jamaica Bay is a fun destination with a great variety of bird life. The bay is large, with launches run by both the National Parks Service (including Floyd Bennett Field) and the city parks, both of which go under different permits. Here's a NYT article about kayaking on it: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/11/nyregion/kayakers-wait-for-the-moonlight-on-jamaica-bay.html

You may want to sail your Aerius II. The bay is suitable for sailing and generally has strong winds. The waters are far from pristine, but apparently much cleaner than before.

I only know the western half, further away from the off-limits JFK environs. I've launched from Floyd Bennett and Canarsie Pier.

In my experience the tides were significant, leaving some parts of the bay too shallow even for an Aerius II with two paddlers at low tide.

Floyd Bennett Field has terrible horseflies in season (whatever that is), so don't forget the bug spray.

Perhaps I can make it out that weekend as well.

Klepper Aerius II (1970s)
Two Feathercraft K-Lights (late 1990s)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:03 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Thanks for the link Steven, I'll check it out.

Blue fish will be the troublesome fish around the Klepper. Stripers I'm not worried about. I used to be a fishing guide in NY harbor for several years and feel pretty confident I'll survive. I have been toying with the idea of finding a plastic tub that will fit in the forward part of the cockpit to flop fish into.

Honestly I'm going out there for a weekend of a lot of kayaking and a little fishing. Sailing will be a high priority for me and I will probably take both the Klepper S4 rig and the Kayaksailor and decide there which will get more of the duty.

Camping, launching and festivities will be from Floyd Bennet Field - I'm wondering if that means 'tarmac camping,' which could be a little rough but we'll see.

I picked up a chart and am really looking forward to some exploring in there. I did some specimen collection up in Jamaica Bay twice, years ago, running a 19' Mako down from Jersey City - long trip, but the bay was really interesting. I think the kayak will be a lot more fun around the islands.

It would be great if you could make it out. Do you have a sail rig?

dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP