Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First time fisher
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:35 pm 
recent arrival

Hey there, I am so confused going on the Fisheries and Oceans Canada website!!!! I can't figure it out, I don't know where to go to find my region information.

Can somebody please direct me to where I can learn the answers to these noob questions:

When you fish for salt water salmon, do you go closer to shore or further out in the ocean?
How far out should I set my crab traps?
How do I tell the difference between fish?
Where do I go to find my regional info about what fish I'm allowed to catch and what ones I'm not?
Where do I go to get info about red tide and polluted areas in my region?
How far away from the Estuary can I fish? For example I live in Courtenay, Vancouver island, BC, Canada, so I'll be taking off from the marina in the estuary, and I don't really want to go any further than Denman Island just for day fishing trips.
Can I fish in the area near Royston by the sunken ships or is that still too close to the estuary?
Is it okay to wait to fill out my fishing licence thing until I get to shore or am I supposed to fill it out as soon as I catch a fish?

When my licence form says I'm supposed to fill out any Chinook salmon, lingcod and halibut that I catch, does that mean I don't have to fill in the form if I catch any other kind of fish? Like what about the other kinds of salmon and rock fish?