Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:28 pm 
I'm planning a solo trip in my aging Klepper Aerius 1 down the 1000 mile length of the Mackenzie River next summer. I'd like to buy a Kayaksailor rig for the trip. Dumping a fully-loaded boat while alone on the Mackenzie River might be the last mistake I ever make. Would this rig afford enough stability on its own or should I add outriggers such as those sold by Folbot ($250). FYI I have lots of paddling experience but limited sailing experience and none at all with the Kayaksailor which looks to me, to be an elegant sailing rig. Many thanks for shoring your expertise.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:43 am 
Site Admin

If you're looking for expedition-quality outriggers (and sails) take a look at BSD- Balogh Sail Designs (http://www.baloghsaildesigns.com). This is expedition tested gear. The Folbot outriggers are good, but they're not in the same category.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:43 pm 
I've heard lots about the Balogh rig. Looks great but it's very pricey. Company seems to have had some admin problems too. I don't know much about the stability of these setups. Do I need outriggers with the Kayaksailor on an Aerius 1 on a solo big-river expedition or is this rig and boat stable enough on its own in light to medium winds. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:35 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Hi Douglas.

I think the Kayaksailor is a very stable rig. I have sailed it with my Klepper AII and my Long Haul Ute (without a rudder). Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to sail it with my T9 which would be closest to your AI. It's a very efficient yet forgiving sail in my opinion. If you are an experienced kayaker I don't think you will feel the need for outriggers unless the conditions became pretty nasty - in which case you can lower or reef the sail.

I sailed my AII on Lake Champlain a few weeks ago and the wind was howling (white streaks over the water from cresting waves). I even had the scary experience of getting my rudder cable jammed and except for the fear of running up onto the rocks I was thoroughly comfortable with the sail being up. The beauty of the KS sail is that somehow it dumps excessive wind out of the top of the sail - it's very forgiving and predictable.

If you practice with the rig a little before heading out on your journey I'm pretty sure your confidence will be such that you won't feel the need for the outrigger. I have capsized with the KS and it wasn't a problem getting the boat rolled back over - just make sure you release the control lines before bringing the sail back up out of the water. The boat will turtle when you go over with a sail rig so make sure everything is secure.

Check the sailing column out. There's a fair bit of interest in the Kayaksailor here.

I looked into getting the BSD outrigger for my sailing adventures but it's very expensive if you buy it separate from the sail combo. For the full Klepper sail I thought it would be nice to have outriggers (you just can't be on your toes all the time on a long trip), but once I got the Kayaksailor it became obvious to me that if I were to make a long journey I would take the KS instead of the Klepper sails and outriggers wouldn't be necessary. The Klepper sail rig would stay around home for more sporting adventures without the outriggers.

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:51 am 
Thanks very much for your comprehensive reply. You have set my mind at rest. I'll be ordering the Kayaksailor rig in the next couple of weeks. Happy sailing!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:31 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Excellent. Please join us in the sailing column when you get the rig. I'd love to hear your impressions of sailing the A1.

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP