Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:43 pm 
forum fanatic

Hello everyone

Having joined this forum under another handle last year, and finding that reasonably priced folders were a bit hard to find in the UK as well as wishing that folders had a bigger/better exposure in the country, I decided to do something about it. So I took the plunge to start up an exclusive UK distributorship with Wayland!

With summer fast approaching, we are trying our best to build up a comprehensive website as soon as we can. In the meantime, I am available for any queries that any of you may have. We will certainly be supplying the entire Wayland range including the new alu Proximo single / Vector double kayaks and the Hanza / Wigry canoes coming out later this year.

Simon Bolze
Wayland Folding Kayaks UK

Exclusive Distributor - UK (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland)
Worldwide dealer (IE - no active Wayland distributor in that country)
http://www.waylandkayaks.co.uk info@waylandkayaks.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:28 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hi,

Good luck with your venture. As I recently said to another poster, there aren't many folding kayaks in the UK, but I believe Wayland are becoming more popular. Certainly if people can buy them locally instead of importing from Poland, that's got to help.

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:38 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

This is good news for the people in the UK who read this forum, but to get sales and spread the word i hope you can show the boats at camping/outdoor shows and similar events, i am sure this will help. You like us must get sale flyers every week and although it a long way to some of our shops it must work or their would be no flyers. Exposure is the key in my opinion. All the best from northern Canada.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:59 pm 
forum fanatic

Many thanks for your words of encouragement.

We have had some good responses so far with some orders in the works already, in spite of hardly any active marketing yet. We certainly do plan to have a presence at some boat shows, kayaking events etc. There is a plan in the works in the form of organising some sort of annual open folder (not restricted to Waylands) get-together weekend event and we would like to hear of feedback etc.

It will be another week before we have our 'prelim' website uploaded and then later, have this website jacked up looking all prim and proper.

Simon Bolze

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:07 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Well done you. I've been thinking for a while that Wayland need a British distributor who can improve their English sales literature and smooth the purchase process. Would be nice to be able to see some of their workmanship in person too. My original interest was in a replacement skin for my old Klepper T9 (which seems to have almost doubled in price since I investigated replacing it two years ago--I guess that's partly the fall in the value of the pound), but I've been watching and waiting for news of their folding canoe too. Are you allowed to tell us any more yet?

Out of interest, does anyone have a feel for how big the folding kayak community is in the UK? (Or how many regularly paddling folding owners there are, if 'community' is too organised a word?)

All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:43 pm 
forum fanatic

We certainly do aim to have a comprehensive website that hopefully will have all the answers anyone would need. Due to time constraints and summer fast approaching, the website will initially be a bit 'rough' and have some empty pages...till later it will mould and change to a proper e-commerced site.

We plan to open this month with a 10% discount across the board on our website (except postage) which includes replacement hulls too - if anyone needs something now, all you need to do is email us directly.

The folding canoes are still very much in the final test and tweaks stage. We have no idea as to official 'release' date as yet, nor have we been given photos, so have no idea as to what they look like. What we may do is create an e-mailing list for those who are interested in the folding canoes, and once we have concrete info, we can then send out a mail-shot.

On the aspect of finding out the level of interest in folders in the UK, we do plan to try organise some form of socials (EG annual folding kayak weekender/festival) and ad-hoc outings, as well have some other plans in the pipeline. We have noticed that there has been some active bidding for 2nd hand folders on ebay recently which shows that there is some interest and owners out there. We would also like to encourage folder owners to join this forum, so we will have a page recommending this site - and from that have a better idea as to the size of the UK folder 'community'.

Simon Bolze

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:53 pm 
I'll certainly be interested in any events you organise. It would be good meet and share experiences of other owners of these kayaks. In particular using the latin sailing rig which I bought but have never put to use.

Good luck in your new venture !