Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:50 pm 
forum fanatic

The first batch of the new Proximo I alu framed kayaks (Hypalon hull / Diklon 32 deck version) have finally started rolling off the factory floor.

All the technical bits and various info about this boat are in the usual pages on our UK site - what's its made off (Construction page), characteristics (Features page), stats (Kayaks and Canoes, Single kayaks pages), and so on.

We have uploaded some large photos on this page ....
http://www.waylandkayaks.co.uk/folding_ ... oximo.html

Simon Bolze
Wayland Folding Kayaks UK

Exclusive Distributor - UK (England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland)
Worldwide dealer (IE - no active Wayland distributor in that country)
http://www.waylandkayaks.co.uk info@waylandkayaks.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:27 am 
forum fanatic

USA folks...

A heads up - we have been taking orders from USA (till further notice) for a few months now.

IE - IF you contact us directly, we do all comms with you, take orders and payment, but arrange for shipment direct from factory to USA to save on shipping costs.

Simon Bolze

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:45 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

So does a customer still need to drive to the port of entry and get stuck paying brokers fees and fees to the airline for taking the package off the plane?

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:38 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Well Simon, while my question may not or may be helpful to you, it does provide a warning to potential customers especially about hidden costs and inconveniences. Maybe you can explain here instead of a pm. It is a very fair question and as recent as 2 years ago, it was still a problem for folks here.You said in your private message you are here to help. Exactly what will you do help someone get a boat that gets stuck in customs?

It cost me about $200 IN FEES to get my boat from San Francisco International when it was supposed to be delivered to my door. Add in time and gas for a 500 mile roundtrip about $100 and the fact that Lufthansa would charge me a daily storage fee.

So what have you and/or Wayland done to improve logistics?

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:20 pm 
forum fanatic

Regarding USA, for the last two years, most possibly after your incident, Wayland (Poland) have been using at least 3 different service providers (UPS being one of them) and using the most appropriate service based on the size / weight of the package, plus offering the customer 2 options - EG priority or slower economical. The one thing that they can't control is the time the parcels spends in USA Customs - sometimes its a few days and others 2-3 weeks.

During that time, all deliveries have been direct to the customer's delivery address, without incurring extra duties/fees.

Given the volume of orders that they do now, they have even got to the point that they get good deals with some couriers that will provide a very economical ECHO service. ECHO is where the courier collects your frame from your house or workplace (a frame that the factory may not have themselves) or skin (like you may want to keep the original deck, but replace the hull), and then delivers the finished product to the same address for a fraction of two separate courier costs. ECHO's for my UK customers have all been handled by Wayland Poland - none of those boats/skins passes through my hands.

As for myself, the shipments that I do has been mainly within the UK. There's no point in me doing orders that would hop onwards to USA from here - Wayland Poland have far more experience and have accounts with bigger discounts.

We understand the nature & necessity of tsunamichuck's question. However, because the question is also phrased as a "negative" statement implying that we, Wayland F K UK, have been shipping (or has organised shipping) in that manner, which is entirely in-correct. Hence our pm.

Simon Bolze