Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:55 am 
recent arrival

As you know, Feathercraft is no longer able to make all parts for their kayaks. However, there are still some parts available but we do not know how long.

I would like to keep my Kahuna (2003) on the water for another 15 years. The boat is in good shape, except the sea sock, the spray skirt and the seat which have some wear and tear.

Are there any parts which I should definitely buy now and/or there are any nice-to-have parts which I should buy just in case?

The keel extension would probably be a wise purchase.

Any views?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:02 pm 
forum fan

We own two of them. One was 15 years old in excellent shape(previous owner didn't use much) when I purchased. After close to 100 day heavy use(level 2-3 trips with 30% camping use), nothing was broken.

The deck had some wear and skin is still in very good shape. I expect another 100-200 day use for the skin. Since we also own Klight and Java, some parts are exchangeable. The not-sure-thing could be the Bar, Bow/Stern Section, Crossribs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:17 am 
recent arrival

I saw elsewhere on this forum that Doug Simpson was making a replacement sea sock for a member.
Have been thinking for a while about making a custom one that is as wear-resistant as the double-coated sock that came with my Wiper XP, but more supple and comfortable. Just sent a note off to Doug to inquire if he'd sell me a pattern. I have a high-end Bernina sewing machine and just recently did some convenience modifications to my spray skirt (not an FC one; Gore-Tex)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:50 pm 
recent arrival

Don't have any folders now, only registered (or re-registered, after long absence) to offer some parts left, see "Some Free Stuff" in Classifieds.
BUT, I would definitely get a replacement seasock if possible. I remember how badly mine was worn on Kahuna after a couple of seasons.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:39 pm 
recent arrival

Heard back from Doug Simpson at FC. He will make new sea socks for about $150 US. I inquired about the stretchy top on the sea sock that came with my Kahuna (now sold to another party). Doug indicated that they did away with that style because in his opinion they deteriorated to readily. Funny, the sea sock for that Kahuna has worn out in lots of other places, but not the top. Think I am going to proceed with creating a pattern from the Wisper XP's sea sock, and figure out a less-bulky way to attach to the built-in coaming. I just really dislike the current sea sock...….it's hot, it tends to grab my feet when I exit the boat, and the bungee around the top attachment mode makes it hard to use any spray shirt from other makers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:45 pm 
faltbootemeister

To Perunka:

When I had my K-Light I purchased a large bag of miscellanious repair parts from Feathercraft. I seem to recall that it was mostly rivets, the small black plastic and barrell shaped parts that attach to the aluminum tubes, multiple swaths of deck and hull material and some parts for a rudder (that I did not have). I'm guessing that the Feathercraft shop has bins and drawers full of such things. Maybe Mr. Simpson could bundle a similar collection for you specific to your Kahuna.

I purchased my B. Kahuna in 2000. It's held up fine but one problem was the plastic ribs that constantly fractured and chipped. It wasn't until they came out with a black colored rib that the problem was finally solved. Better material I guess. It wouldn't hurt to have some extra ones on hand.

To Alaskagal:

It's interesting that you're not happy with the built-in coaming. I'm jealous. My one piece coaming is beautiful to look at but if that goes there is no replacement. Anyways, wanted to say thanks for the information regarding Doug Simpson. I'm glad that he is still involved (if in a limited way) in the upkeep of his amazing kayaks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:28 pm 
faltbootemeister

My mistake Alaskagal, your complaint was about the bulky sea sock attachment and not the built in coaming. My eye exam is coming up soon.