All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: airline Jet Stream?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:09 am 
I am looking for any information on Jet Stream from Feathercraft Airline:
http://www.feathercraft.com/jetstream.php

Anybody has paddled or seen this boat?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:21 am 
You can alwasys ask Feathercraft. info@feathercraft.com
They have always answered me no matter my question or request. I don't think that has changed. I just got an answer about the new soft coaming on the Kahuna a couple of days ago. While they are not going to run down their boats, the do answer pretty candidly IMO.

Post subject: Jet Stream
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:55 am 
So far, I haven't found anybody paddling Feathercraft Jet Stream. Of course, I've got some technical answers from Feathercraft, but would like to hear about paddler's experiences.

http://race.fit2paddle.com/C1159474119/ ... index.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:41 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

But I know a few of the guys in the video from my days on Okinawa. Barracuda from PNet has been talking about buying a Java. I really wish he would so I can paddle one! Imay go to the symposium in Port Angeles in April and may make a run for the border to try them.

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

Post subject: Jetstream
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:58 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Marek, if you go to the Yahoo Bagboaters site:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bagboater/

-- and search on Jetstream, there was some discussion about it and the other Feathercraft inflatables a couple of years ago. Those who'd tried the Jetstream found it to be unstable. Comments were also made that any sit-on-top is better for use in warm water than cold, because you'll get wetter than in a decked kayak, even if you don't fall in.

I note that my Safari inflatable sit-on-top is 72 cm wide, while my Puffin Swift kayak is 64 cm wide. I would say that for stability, they feel about the same. The Safari's greater beam is counteracted by the higher seat and therefore higher centre of gravity. I can believe that the 51 cm wide Jetstream is seriously tippy.

Mary

Post subject: I have a Jet Stream now.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:04 am 
I just got a Jet Stream used, have not even put it together yet, and really wanitng a dry warm day to try it out. Mountainwayfarer and tsunamichuck know about it--I will keep you all posted about its balance (tippy?) and performance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:12 am 

Welcome Steven. Ya got the drysuit, get on the boat.
btw I was checking out a surfski today.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

Post subject: Feathercraft
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:47 pm 
I will say this, TSC, my first impression of this boat after only taking it out, not yet putting it together, is that it is very well constructed... super with rudder and skeg, both. But that comes at a price... this thing is 54 lbs on my bathroom scale when I have the patch kit, pump, etc included. So, even if I make it as spartan as can be, 45 lbs. like it says on the Feathercraft site seems a tad optimistic. I might break it into two bags to make it more manageable at the airport. I will get some time to inflate it and pump it up this weekend. I wish the ice would melt for a drysuited paddle. Seems weeks away. :oops:

Hey, when you get info on the surfski that you are checking out, let me know about it. I don;t recall that you ever owned one recently. Good luck with the bum wing. See, spending your time searching surf skis... hold onto that wallet with your good arm.

Post subject: Re: Feathercraft
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:24 pm 
coold1 wrote:
this thing is 54 lbs on my bathroom scale when I have the patch kit, pump, etc included. So, even if I make it as spartan as can be, 45 lbs. like it says on the Feathercraft site seems a tad optimistic.

This is easy to check. Grab it (just the frame and skin) and stand up on the scales. Then check your body weight, and deduct from the first number. I have no doubts that the rest weighs at least 9 lbs - bag plus patch kit plus skeg or whatever else is there (54-9=45). Bag etc is never included in the published weight. I don't remember about FC, but in other other brands manufacturers often "forget" to include the seat in the weight, though it is an integral part of a boat, rather than an option, IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:47 pm 
I read some of the other posts on here, including some from TSC and Alm, and those gunwale bars athat are basically impossible to put on. This is a newer boat, and the hull must need to be stretched, but I swear to God I am going to pop that alum frame right through the bow if i reef on these "lever bars" any harder. Boeshield makes zero difference. I saw the other therad on here where a guy bent the lever bar. I am on the verge of that., I fear. Next step, call Feathercraft so maybe they will warranty the thing if I pop the hell out of the frame through the bow live whiole I have them on the phone (I know I know, the warranty is for the originsal owner, which I am not). So, suffice it to say, I have not been able to put the boat together yet. Wish you were here, TSC< and you could help me reef on this thing.

Your surfski looks hot. Nice trade for your tandem, methinks. CD1
I'm going to eat a fruit cup and watch the Sopranos. Johnny Saccrimony just pleaded guilty and got fifteen years, and Tony is going to bleed him for his house. See ya. [/b]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:56 pm 

Put the skin in the house for a day or so. You could put it in tepid to warm water for an hour or so too.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:49 pm 
I tried to assemble my Khats in the cold when it was new. No way I had to bring the whole thing in the living room. Once it was together it liked the cold just fine.

Jeff

Post subject: Thanks, gentlemen
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:55 am 
I will give it a whirl and try to wet it or keep it incisde. I thin, the outer tubeson this Jetstream need to be curved slightly around the hull, gunwales, so I may have to take that into account. I will keep trying, and then keep it built. I hope it works. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:47 am 
I'm sorta shocked.

I posted on Pnet, and no one replied that they have a Jet STream. I posted here, no Jetstream owners. No specific Jetstream reviews on this website, Paddling.net or even the Feathercraft site.

Other than me and the kindly Japanese man on TSC's photo, are we the only Feathercraft Jetstream owners in the world? Man, if I ever get this thing together (I will try again this week, it should be good and warm in my basement, heated), I will have to do a thorough review as this boat seems to have less sightings than the Loch Ness monster. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:51 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

EDIT - Sorry! I've said this before. That's the problem with reviving old threads...

In the Yahoo Bagboaters group, there was some discussion about the Jetstream, probably about 3 years ago now. One or two people had paddled one (although I don't remember if they were owners or got to try one at an event). If you join the group -
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bagboater/
- and search on Jetstream, you might find something.

Mary

Last edited by maryinoxford on Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.