Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:59 pm 
Quote:
... this boat seems to have less sightings than the Loch Ness monster.

Perhaps the others know something you don't. :)

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:57 pm 
Quote:
This is a newer boat, and the hull must need to be stretched, but I swear to God I am going to pop that alum frame right through the bow if i reef on these "lever bars" any harder. Boeshield makes zero difference. I saw the other therad on here where a guy bent the lever bar. I am on the verge of that

Occasionally FC skins are slightly smaller than they should be. I had this problem with Kahuna, couldn't extend the telscopic keelsen tube farther then to the 1st push-button hole, while the Manual suggested 2nd or 3rd hole (i.e. 1" or 2" longer keelsen). And this was with warm skin - I never tried to assemble it in temps below 20C (72F). Didn't bend the lever, but was close to this, and slightly bent the metal rod/tip of the lever, trying to extend the keelsen to the 2nd hole. FC told me - ignore the manual, let it be, if it's already tight on the first hole.

Very occasionally the skin is just too small - and then it is a warranty issue. Yes, FC warranty isn't transferable, and they are not too eager to accomodate non-original owners, - there could be potential mis-use of the boat by the first owner (that you don't know about), and these products are expensive to give you a break every time. But sometimes people were able to negotiate either free service, or low-cost reapirs, depending on how guilty the factory felt about this - or may be how persistent was the disgruntled client.

FC skins are dimensionally stabile - the cycles of wetting, drying, stretching on the frame and temperature changes don't result in irreversible shrinkage (occasionally reported in Folbot skins) or irreversible stretching (personally experienced in Russian Triton/Ladoga PVC skin). So even if it will soften/stretch after warming up or wetting, - you'll have the same problem again under the same conditions. It will only very slightly conform to the frame shape with time, and this might not help much.

To my observations, FC frame pieces, being short and rigid, do not bend irreversibly, conforming to the boat curves, at least in Kahuna (unlike in wooden-framers or in longer aluminum tubes of some other brands).

Post subject: Thx, Mary
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:06 am 
I joined and found some limited info about the JStream.Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Jetstream
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:28 pm 
recent arrival

want to sell your Jetstream?

quote="maryinoxford"]Marek, if you go to the Yahoo Bagboaters site:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Bagboater/

-- and search on Jetstream, there was some discussion about it and the other Feathercraft inflatables a couple of years ago. Those who'd tried the Jetstream found it to be unstable. Comments were also made that any sit-on-top is better for use in warm water than cold, because you'll get wetter than in a decked kayak, even if you don't fall in.

I note that my Safari inflatable sit-on-top is 72 cm wide, while my Puffin Swift kayak is 64 cm wide. I would say that for stability, they feel about the same. The Safari's greater beam is counteracted by the higher seat and therefore higher centre of gravity. I can believe that the 51 cm wide Jetstream is seriously tippy.

Mary[/quote]

Post subject: Re: Jetstream
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:34 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

yogavnture wrote:
want to sell your Jetstream?

yogavnture, if you were asking me, sorry, but I've never owned a Jetstream. I was just directing a previous poster to a forum where I'd seen some comments about it.

Mary