Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:02 pm 
Took my, new to me '91 K1 out for the first paddle yesterday. I found the Blue Cordura deck, absorbs quite a lot of water, felt damp on the inside, but not soggy, however the Cordura definitely absorbed a lot of water. What is normal (there is no beading) and what can be done to improve waterproofing or restance ??

Thanks

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 am 
Normal is when it doesn't let water through. Not much can be done with old decks. There are wash-in and spray-on water repellents like Nikwax Tx-Direct, they help temporarily, for a few weeks or couple months. Don't even know why I answer - don't have a K1 already. People sometimes don't realize how much pain can be a folder that was being neglected for decades (and new one needs a lot of care too)... Being able to get out on water is nice, though... In any boat...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:12 pm 
Hi Caomhanach,

Cordura is a texturised nylon fabric which in itself is not waterproof. It is made waterproof by the application of a polymer coating on the smoother, non textured surface. This coating deteriorates over time and can peel or flake off. 20 years would be a good life span I reckon. :)

Adding a beading agent to the top surface as Alm suggests will reduce the absorption & assist, but its really the inside coating you should look at. Bill P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:34 am 
Thanks for.the feedback.. I appreciate i t :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:20 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Hi Mike,

So, a little off topic... but I can't resist asking, how does the K1 compare to the T9 out on the water?

D

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:07 pm 
Hi, just treated an old Cordura deck on a Khatsalano with 303 fabric guard that Fcraft recommended. 2 coats, let dry in the sun, cure overnight and it sheds water like a proverbial duck's back. Resealed the seams just to be doubly sure.

Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:29 am 
recent arrival

Agreed - the 303 Aerospace Fabric Guard is excellent for waterprooofing old Cordura decks. I've just used it on my 18-year-old K-Light. The original waterproof coating had all flaked off, and the deck had no water repellency at all. Sprayed on the 303 Fabric Guard and let it dry for an afternoon, and it's waterproof again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:13 pm 
Thanks for all the feedback and replies...

Especially for the 303 information, I've used some of their other products, so that's really good to know...

As far as the T9 vs the K1, totally different animals, the K1 has small sponsons.. and feels far more stable while still being responsive, the T9 requires more skill as a paddler in my opinion as it's isn't nearly as stable.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:46 pm 
forum fan

I just had great success re-waterproofing two K-Light cordura decks following the instructions here and elsewhere on this forum. Let me share my experience in brief.

Last fall I picked up two used K-Lights, which were in relatively good basic condition apart from a missing seasock, a leaky sponson and some jammed zippers on the backpacks. The bigger problem was that in at-all wavy conditions they took on modest amounts of water through decks that had lost most of their waterproofing.

Early this spring I applied 303 Aerospace spray on the INSIDES of the decks after turning the hulls inside out. After this spray dried and with the boats turned back to their normal shapes, I also used the seam sealant Feathercraft still sells to all the seams where the decks meet the hulls.

We took both kayaks out on a lake this weekend and I noticed water beading up on the decks in a way it hadn't before. I deliberately splashed lots of water on the decks to simulate rougher conditions than we actually encountered.

The boats took on very little water over the course of an entire afternoon. I'm very pleased with these results and recommend this recipe to other kayakers dealing with old cordura decks.

Klepper Aerius II (1970s)
Two Feathercraft K-Lights (late 1990s)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:10 pm 
faltbootemeister

... And what opinions are there with respect to the overall performance of Cordura as a deck material?

Has it been used as a Hull material at all? If so, how does it fare?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:29 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

The deck of my 15 year old K Light Plus (now under new ownership) was not water repellent but did not seem to leak to any significant degree. In the strong Florida sun where I paddled last winter, I think evaporation from the wet cordura kept the cockpit a bit cooler. What I disliked about the cordura deck was that it tended to shrink (a lot) when disassembled. This meant thoroughly wetting the deck when assembling the boat, especially when installing the large aft rib and coaming. I will probably replace the KL with the Kurrent 2.0. It should be an easy boat to put together. I did enjoy the way the KL paddled and the Kurrent might even be a better performer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:37 am 
recent arrival

I'm doing the same to my old K1 deck, but plan on using the regular Nikwax on the under side of the deck and Nikwax waterproofing and UV protectant on the top side. While I have the deck pulled inside out, I'll also do a liberal amount of seam sealing.

Question: which 303 product did you use?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:32 pm 
forum fan

I haven't tried it on a deck but I think Belstaff wax or Fjälräven wax would work. I used it on a Belstaff heavy cotton motorcycle set and on a bicycle nylon poncho and they are totally watertight. Its not so easy to apply as a spray but will impregnate almost any kind of cloth and is easy to refresh

http://www.fjallraven.com/greenland-wax