Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to land a loaded FC?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:18 am 
recent arrival

Greetings to all....

I am thinking of getting a Feathercraft, and am now trying to think through the practical realities involved. I have a question about coming ashore.

If you land an FC loaded with camping gear on a beach, you can't just pick it up and carry it above the tide line, right? If you try to lift a loaded FC, the weight of the gear may well bend the frame, yes? So you have to unload the boat before you try to move it?

Thank you kindly for your input..

BH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:16 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Welcome to the fold. You are correct, you should not carry a loaded folder (I presume you are thinking about a double) by its bow and stern, it puts too much strain on the frame. But there is another option, and you can accomplish a landing and short haul solo, even with a double. With a set of wheels strapped about 1/3 of the way along the hull you can land and haul the boat safely.

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:18 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I don't own a FC-- have had Pakboats and Klepper, and have been in Pouch, Triton, and a few others. But I think that qualifies me to respond: yes, you would have to unload first. But you would not be so concerned about bending the frame (they are flexible and very strong)-- the greater concern would be the possible damage to the hull if you dragged it with a lot of weight in it.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:24 am 

g is right-- you could slip your trailer under the boat while it is still in the water and wheel it ashore. I have wheeled my boats with quite a lot of weight in them. Once upon a time I lived close enough to the water that I could walk there with the boat on it's trailer-- made quite a sight, I'm sure-- which brings up another point: make sure you have your mind very well around the setup and breakdown times of the boats. The Kleppers are relatively quick in the department, but I keep it set up in-season (and cartop them), and break it down and store it for the winter.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:37 am 

Taking the cart thing a step further... Greg's idea of placing the wheels under the stern is great for getting out of the water and up onto dry land. But if you have a further distance to travel reorganize the gear and wheels once out of the water. Move the wheels directly under the cockpit and then move the heaviest gear into the cockpit. This allows you to balance the boat so that the wheels carry the entire load and all you need to do is push or pull and help keep the balance.

I live close enough to a lake so that I can kayak cart round trip. It always amazes me how light I can make the 150+ lb loaded boat by putting it all above the 21" bicycle wheeled cart I have. On level ground the kayak almost feels like it's rolling itself. I do have a monster hill to contend with and I cannot imagine lifting weight and pushing the boat up at the same time. Balance is a good thing.

Also keep in mind that conditions vary and you may find yourself on a beautiful sandy smooth beach where you can pull the boat up onto shore without damage to the hull. But the folder is really not so different from any high quality boat or canoe - unless it's a plastic hull, you're not going to drag it over rocks. All hulls are vulnerable. I think you would have to drag a loaded folder a pretty long way to damage the frame and you would know it when you were dragging that there was an issue. So more than damaging the frame the consideration is more about damaging the hull and creating weak spots or leaks.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:25 am 

Hi BH,

Please post a proper intro in the Introduction section.

Thanks,

C

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:24 pm 
forum fanatic

I have done a fair amount of touring in a rigid single, folding single and folding double. When traveling in a group we move loaded boats with one person on each side of the cockpit one on stern and one on bow. For the double two on each side of the cockpit and one each on stern and bow.

Another option is two straps under the boat just ahead and just behind the cockpit.

Traveling alone which I don't do I would partially unload the boat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:24 pm 
forum fan

Sorry I know I'm biased!

Dan from FC.

Our expedition boats are fully capable of being carried up the beach loaded (thats all we do!). That is also why the grab handles are at the bow and stern. Maybe take the waterbags out of the cockpit (if thats where you keep them, I know I do).

The only boats I would unload first are the Kurrent LW and the Aironaut (and sometimes I don't!)
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:24 pm 
forum fanatic

3 or 4 pool noodles or similar foam cylinders around 24-30" long will serve depending on terrain. Think pyramid technology. Much easier to stow than a cart plus you get a bit more floatation along with the deal.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:31 pm 
faltbootemeister

I have carried the fully loadded, with a friend's help of course, both the LW Kurrent and the Kahuna (not together of course) from the water's edge with no ill effects. They both flex a little but nothing to worry about.
Of the other Feathercraft models I've see being carried loaded, the Wisper seems to flex the most.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:53 pm 
faltbootemeister

We load our tandem quite a bit, both, under and on decks... :) We always load and unload on the water, rain or shine, surf or calm, from 10 F 10 110 F... :) So far, the procedure never failed. The yak is without a scratch.

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy