Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Feathercraft seat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:18 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

The seat that I have in my Kurrent has both an inflatable lumbar support as well as the inflatable seat bottom. I find the lumbar support very comfortable, the seat bottom not so much. Under inflated, it feels like I'm sitting in a hammock. Too much inflation and I'm sitting on top of a beach ball and the left leg becomes numb. One good puff of air seems about right but after a couple of hours of paddling I start getting uncomfortable. It's a bit like one of those soft gel bicycle seats that feel good for a few miles and then become increasingly uncomfortable because your sit bones can't find a firm bottom. It's not a big deal and doesn't change my mind about what a fine boat the Kurrent is but I've been thinking about modifying a salvaged plastic seat pan by cutting it to size and inserting that in place of the inflatable cushion. Any other suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Feathercraft seat
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:14 pm 
faltbootemeister

Hi Jake,

I wonder if the seat in the Kurrent is different from the rest of their kayaks? My 2001 Big Kahuna has a molded plate for the bottom and a plate/air bladder for the back. I've always found this to be very comfortable. If the sleeve in your seat could accommodate the Feathercraft molded plate, maybe you could get one from Feathercraft. I have seen a similar type molded seat (I believe called a tractor seat) at some of the bigger kayak shops. Placing that on top of your seat might help. Good luck finding something.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:31 am 

Thanks for the info. I'll check with Feathercraft. I see that their website shows a plastic insert for the Wisper's seat that apperently makes rolling that boat easier. Maybe it would fit the Kurrent as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:44 pm 
I was thinking of inserting a carbon plate below the seat, to keep it expanded as I find the seat itself ok, with just a little air in it. Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:49 pm 
Jake wrote:
Thanks for the info. I'll check with Feathercraft. I see that their website shows a plastic insert for the Wisper's seat that apperently makes rolling that boat easier. Maybe it would fit the Kurrent as well.

Do you have a link please?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:51 pm 

Hi Paul,

Go to Feathercraft.com>products>accessories>handling! bracing! rolling

It looks like a simple plastic insert. $60.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:38 pm 
Thank You

"Your message contains 9 characters. The minimum number of characters you need to enter is 20." What? Why?