Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:45 pm 
forum fan

Hi all,

I owned a Wisper for a number of years and had the setup pretty nailed down. Being as familiar with that as I am, could anyone give me a clue as to their preference between the Kurrent 2.0 (or LW) shockcorded extension mechanism or the Wisper's leverage extension mechanism in terms of setup and when paddling?

I've nailed it down to either a Kurrent 2.0 or a Wisper again and I'm just in the process of information gathering and saving ;)

Your feedback is much appreciated!

- Steven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:31 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I chose the Kurrent 2.0 over the Wisper not so much because it's easier to assemble (though that was a consideration) but I simply prefer the way it paddles. That it's eight pounds lighter and has a larger cockpit also factored in to my decision to choose the Kurrent. I have not been disappointed. I only paddled the Wisper for a couple of hours with Feathercraft dealer Ken Fink and assembling the Wisper took us 45 minutes under the hot Florida sun. Lots of levering this and levering that (To be fair, it was a new boat and the skin was very tight). If you don't have to do that very often, than the assembly process would be of less importance.

On the other hand, after next year we may likely be renting a garage-less condo here in Florida which means that I'll have no place to safely secure the Kurrent and I will not go through the assembly/disassembly each time I want to paddle the boat. When that time comes, I'll probably buy an inflatable, likely the FC Aironaut.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:20 am 
forum fan

Thanks for the feedback Jake.

I actually went through the buildup-teardown process every time I paddled. Living in an apartment in Vancouver, I have no place to put it other than the closet. I will probably be doing that again.

To be honest I think I'm just going to get a Wisper again - it just means I have to save up more.

Everyone else, that doesn't mean I couldn't be convinced otherwise - so please, more feedback!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:38 pm 
faltbootemeister

Assembling my Kahuna and Kurrent, I find the Kurrent to be maybe 5 to 8 minutes quicker to assemble than the Kahuna. 5 minutes for the frame and an additional 3 minutes or so due to the Kahuna's two hatches. Installing the Kahuna's cockpit cross-rib aft of the seat, is actually easier than the Kurrent's. This is probably because the Kurrent's rib is located just aft of the cockpit and is harder to reach than the Kahuna's and is also much tighter. Additionally, I find removing the Kahuna's frame from the skin easier than with the Kurrent - inserting my arms in the hatches help in pulling on the frames out. What takes longer with the Kahuna is extending the frame in its skin (it also takes more effort).
A few years back I had a Wisper (the original 4 cross-rib model), and honestly, its assembly/take-down time is very similar to my Kahuna's.
Like you, I live in Vancouver in an apartment and have go through the motions every time I go out. For me to make the assembly time and effort worthwhile I have to be on the water at least two hours. Still ok for after-work evening outings.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:35 pm 
forum fan

Picking up a Kurrent 2.0 soon! Woohoo!

For the record, this extension option is soooo much better than the extension bars. Even with fewer parts I had the thing built up AND town down in their shop in about 20-25 minutes. Freaking awesome.

I did ask about having this option in something like a Wisper frame and it probably wouldn't be as capable given the loads and usage of that weight of boat.

Still awesome. Looking forward to perchance seeing some of you on the water in Vancouver.

Huzzah!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:16 pm 

Paraglia's right about that stern rib; it's tough to get into place, especially with the 2.0 version. It takes me 35 minutes or so just to assemble my Kurrent 2.0 but I only need to do that every couple of months so I don't get much practice. OTOH, if I had to assemble every time I wanted to paddle, I'd not have a folder. In that case a high performance inflatable like the Aironaut or Framura would be my boat of choice. I'm fascinated with the Aironaut and might get one anyway. Unless, of course, Paraglia's forthcoming review of his recently acquired Framura convinces me otherwise. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:55 pm 
forum fan

Just a bit of an update.

I managed to pick up my kayak (Kurrent 2.0) and have done two setups with it. The only main issue was with some skin-sag on the gunwales which I still haven't gotten rid of but figure it'll tighten up in the skin over time.

The stern crossrib was fine to get in there, I found. The bow main crossrib was another story. I tried getting rid of the skin sag in the gunwales by increasing the tension in the gunwale extension bar - to no avail because when I tried to get the crossrib hooked up, I could only get 4 of the 5 slots fitted with the 5th being impossible to do because of all the tension in the bar (it was the starboard gunwale slot).

If I had stuck to the regular notch and not the higher tension notch in the extension bar I would have gotten a 25 minute setup time instead of 30.

I have to say though that this extension option beats the hell out of the Wisper's 5 lever extension bars. I imagine with more practice i'll get it down to 15-20.

Looking forward to getting it on the water!

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:45 pm 
faltbootemeister

Congrats on your new Kurrent. It's good to assemble the kayak a couple of times at home before your fisrt paddle.

I found it easier not to extent the frame too much. Especially in the beginning, to the second or third hole should be sufficient, and exrend all the bars equally to the same hole; this will guarantee the frame is aligned and not shaped like a banana (we all know banana boats don't go very straight). The kayak is stiff enough even if the skin isn't tight as a drum. Yes, the Kurrent's extension system is easier and requires less force than for FC's other models. This especially nice in hot weather.

I particularly like the footrest. It's a simple cross bar attached to the frame with webbing. It's simple, light and comfortable. I've adopted the same system on the Kahuna. FC should have it standard with their rudderless kayaks.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:25 pm 
forum fan

Agreed... I was offered the option of having the wisper-style footplate instead of the crossbar but I have to say, it just feels so solid.

The wisper's footplate felt slippy and in hindsight I could have put some grip-tape on it or something to tack it up, but even with that this bar seems better.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:32 pm 

After spending some time stowed in its duffel sack, my own Kurrent 2.0 seems to shrink just a bit and I can only lever the keel bar to its first detent, ditto for the chine and gunnel tubes. A day or so after assembly, I move the keel, chine and gunnel tubes to the second detent without much effort. After the sponsons have been fully inflated the deck is taut but there's always some small wrinkle somewhere along the gunnel. But, then, these boats are all handmade by affable artisans in Vancouver, BC, from materials that do not easily lend themselves to exactitude; they're not popped out of molds somewhere in China and a bit of variation from boat to boat is to be expected, might even be a good thing and will have no effect whatever on performance.