Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:05 am 
forum fan

I have a Big Kahuna which, although not 'old', has the fibreglass coaming (pre-design update). The sea sock gets very wet after each use and there is a 'flaking' appearance over the surface. There is a seam 'tape' which is coming off at certain points and a small opening of a seam at the top of the sea sock where it stretches over the coaming. A new sea sock is expensive but since this is a safety issue, I am wondering if others would attempt repairing it or buy a new one?

Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Donna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:36 pm 
faltbootemeister

Hi Donna,

You just described my sea sock (I have a B. Kahuna). I continued to use mine to keep sand and dirt out but made sure I had good float bags to take up space in the hull. I could be wrong but I think there isn't much you can do to repair it. I hear what you're saying about the cost of a new one, especially if it falls apart as quickly as mine did. I thought about using my old sock as a pattern to make a new one. The materials would be easy to get but finding someone to do the work...well, maybe someone here has a good solution.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:00 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

There have definitely been recipes suggested on here for resealing a flaking seasock. Search may find it for you. Off the top of my head, I seem to recall somebody described purchasing a tube of bathroom sealant (I think it was) and thinning it with white spirits (which I seem to recall is a different thing in UK to US, so best check which type of spirits you need) in a bucket then dipping the seasock in the mixture for a complete coating and hanging it to dry. Unless someone else is able to come up with the link, I suggest trying to locate the original thread, as my addled brain could have got details above mixed up.
Hope this helps.
Ian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:04 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I would get 18-24 months out of a sock. One of the reasons I went for a Java

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:10 pm 

I don't think that the sea sock is so much of a safety thing as just keeping the interior of the boat clean of sand, mud and whatever other watery filth you might track in. The sponsons are going to keep the boat afloat unless they're punctured in which case, well, just hope you don't have far to swim. I don't get why FC charges almost twice as much for their "more durable" sock which is what they should supply as standard equipment. Anyway, your old, peeling sock will probably keep the boat from getting too mucky.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:12 am 
forum fan

I am about to replace my sock with the new better one. I tried repairing the original one but it's a complete waste of time. It's really not the quality you would expect from FC.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:03 pm 
forum fan

I haven't tried it on a seasock but I think Belstaff wax or Fjälräven wax would work. I used it on a Belstaff heavy cotton motorcycle set and on a bicycle nylon poncho and they are totally watertight. Its not so easy to apply as a spray but will impregnate almost any kind of cloth and is easy to refresh

http://www.fjallraven.com/greenland-wax

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:01 pm 
faltbootemeister

iant wrote:
I am about to replace my sock with the new better one. I tried repairing the original one but it's a complete waste of time. It's really not the quality you would expect from FC.

My FC seasock never leaked. Maybe I'm lucky. But if you wash it with fresh water frequently and most importantly let it dry completely before storing it, it will last way longer than you would expect.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:30 pm 
recent arrival

I never used the sock, I make a point of keeping junk from getting in the boat, though it inevitably does, so what I do is take everything out of and off of the boat and take it out into knee deep water and fill it maybe 1/4 with sea water and just rock it and and slide it back and forth, then turn it over and do the same, going through that cycle 3 times or more. It may help to try to flex the whole frame while doing it, or even release the ratchets a few holes back so you can also rinse out the sand that gets stuck in between the frame and skin.

After that I just drain it on the water as I would normally, and try to drain some more on dry land to get as much water out as possible then re-attach all the accessories (like the seat) and it's good to go. Not 100% clean but close. After my last tour was over I took the skin alone to a self serve car wash and sprayed it down and then turned the skin inside out and sprayed it some more. I think turning it inside out is the only way to really get it totally clean on the inside. It's a bit of a hassle but I think I'd rather do that once in a while than use a sea sock all the time.

Now the ratchet holes on spreader bars are pitted from sea salt corrosion, there's one hole that got noticeably bigger, but everything still works perfectly. I think part of the problem is I had it assembled for weeks at a time on the Mediterranean which is known to be (much?) saltier than Atlantic Ocean. Also I used my electric bilge pump way more than I used the spray skirt there since it was very warm that summer. I think just using a spray skirt all the time so you don't get much water in the bottom of the boat is almost as good as using the sock to avoid the very minor and inconsequential corrosion damage that I've had.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:09 am 

I've been using that method with hardshells for many years and also the old K-light that I paddled before I bought the Kurrent and it works very well. So far, I've been using the sea sock with my Kurrent but it it ever wears out (and it's yet to show any wear), I'll likely go back to my old ways, flipping it at the take-out site, letting it half fill with clean water and then lifting each end to drain the water. For those who have access to a garden hose at home, it's not a bad idea to give the interior a fresh water rinse. Salt residue inside the boat will tend to collect moisture from the air and keep the interior from drying properly. On the other hand, if the boat must be disassembled after each outing, the sea sock is probably a good thing to use.