Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:25 pm 
recent arrival

I recently bought a used Heron, and the boat seems very well built and attractive. The previous owner had a downwind sailing rig for it that is no longer with the boat. it seems to have a hole in the deck and in the deck bar that the mast went through and a black plastic piece on the keel bar that the mast would slide over. Can anyone point me in the direction of what sailing rig this was set up for? My other concern with the sailing setup is that the deck bar socket for the mast seems to have two points that when the boat is assembled are digging into the skin of the boat. I considered trying to rotate the socket 180 degrees but then the deck bar does not lock into the frame piece at the forward edge of the cockpit. Am I missing something? is that the way it is supposed to be? Also, when I first took it out my legs got painfully numb in about 45mins. Does anyone have any techniques to help fit these boats to prevent this? Thanks all very much, and if anyone else here is in the seattle area and wants to paddle hit me up. Thanks

Merlin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:10 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Can you contact the original owner to find out more about the sailing rig? If not, you might be able to get some information directly from Feathercraft. They are a small shop and very responsive and helpful.

In fact, you might want to consider a road trip up to Vancouver to visit their factory/HQ on Granville Island there. You can launch into False Creek and into Vancouver Harbor right there beside their building. Or head northeast to Deep Cove and kayak up the fiord on Indian Arm.

As to your report of numbness, that surprises me. I have owned 3 Feathercrafts and have found them to be the most comfortable kayaks in terms of long term seating position. Have you tried adjusting the inflation in the seat to change the angle of your thighs? And are your feet braced at the right position? Do you push off alternately with your feet while paddling and use torso rotation? There are so many ways to alter your body placement and techniques in the boat -- some experimentation might be in order.

Sometimes numbness is due to body mechanics especially lower back issues and tight hamstrings -- some stretching and exercises to strengthen lower back support muscles can help with that.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:26 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Hi Merlin,

I had a leg numbness problem with the inflatable seat in my Kurrent. After less than an hour's paddling, the left leg would go numb and I'd need to find a beach where I could exit the boat, get the affected leg working and try to adjust the seat to keep if from happening again, usually by bleeding off a bit of air. I solved the problem by completely deflating the seat cushion, installing the sea sock and then placing a Seal Line Discovery self-inflating kayak seat cushion on the seat. I've used this cushion in hardshell boats to good affect and, for whatever reason, it seems to work equally well in the Kurrent. Quite comfortable and no more numb leg problems.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:06 pm 
recent arrival

Thanks you guys. I sent a question off to feathercraft with a picture. I hope to get some information. It seems to be setup for the feather craft sailing rig, which is apparently no longer available. Is this true? I will try different things to deal with the numbness, it was painful and a little discouraging but hopefully I can figure something out.

Merlin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:31 pm 
faltbootemeister

Hi Merlin,

There should be a patch of material on the underside of the deck that will cover over the hole on the deck bar (also sealing off the hole in the deck). This should protect the deck material from abrasion, as long as you aren't using the sail. Even with the sail there should not be a problem as I believe there is material around the deck hole to reinforce the area.

Kerry and Jake gave you great advise on the seat problem. I once read that you should not be afraid to purchase a kayak if it has an uncomfortable seat because there are a million ways to customize it and make it better. On my Feathercraft I would slide the sling forward a little so the back of the seat dipped slightly. This would angle my thighs slightly upwards as I rested my feet on the foot pegs. For me, this was comfortable.