Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Sad news
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:39 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

After messing with my Java trying ( unsuccessfully) to get it together, 2 words kept entering my mind... Good Riddance :twisted: .... Never had issues with the Java before. Had been packed away all winter. Will work on it tomorrow after a good paddle in another kayak

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:15 pm 
recent arrival

I just read this whole thread...actually stumbled across it because I was googling assembly times for the Quest 150. I was definitely a little surprised about how long it took to assemble compared to my Folbot Cooper. I can do the Cooper on my own in 20mins out of the bag. First attempt took two of us well over an hour for the Quest 150. I highly doubt I could ever get it down to sub 40mins on my own. Time will tell! That is definitely a drawback. 20mins was totally worth it for an hour of two or paddling for some exercise in the city where I live. Closer to an hour and it's not worth it for anything other than a full day or an overnight on a proper kayaking trip.

Talking about the Folding Kayak market, as two young people who just purchased two Pakboat Quests, I definitely see a future market in folding kayaks. I think they are such a brilliant idea. I lived 12 hours from the nearest ocean in the the prairies of Canada...but have more than got my money's worth out of my Folbot taking it on paddling trips to Hawaii, Thailand, Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast of BC on many multiday trips. The pakboats my girlfriend and I purchased are for a 12 day trip in Glacier Bay, Alaska this June. And I have many more future trips in the back of my mind (Colombia, Madagascar and even the Amazon). I think they are such a fantastic bit of equipment and I can't believe the market is dwindling not expanding.

My only explanation is that marketing is VERY poor for folding kayaks in general. It is difficult to find information, there are limited resources (this website being the exception) and even manufacturers seem to be more in the business of making boats and keeping quiet than really looking to sell and promote their products. I think the person who mentioned that some social media 'influencers' were needed to promote this industry are totally right. There aren't even many good trip reports and posts/photos/info about cool trips people have done with their folding kayaks.

I'm a professional videographer and take decent photos too...it's definitely occurred to me that I should put more of an effort documenting and promoting some of the trips I've done that have been made possible by folding kayaks!

Also I don't mean to bash the Quest 150...I am super excited to paddle it. I love that it is lighter than the Cooper (my m ain reason for purchase), and the price point isn't that bad. I just wish assembly was less fiddly and faster. I definitely think boats in this price range is where the market would be at. The Feathercrafts of this world (beautiful as they were) are always going to be a tough sell for someone who uses it just a few trips a year. Which is where I think the real market would be for folding kayaks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:23 pm 

Pakboats doesn't maintain their site very well, but they have some good tips for speeding assembly. If there is a particular sticking point for you, I recommend calling Alv (the owner) and asking whether he has a better way of doing it.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:16 am 

Well, I did get The Java together and while I was in Portland earlier this month, I picked up a K Light with seal skin in great condition. Truly a very portable kayak and really easy to assemble. Wife approves and Paris is unscathed. Last time I got a K Light, my dog ended up as a main dish....

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:54 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

booewen wrote:
...Also I don't mean to bash the Quest 150...I am super excited to paddle it. I love that it is lighter than the Cooper (my m ain reason for purchase), and the price point isn't that bad. I just wish assembly was less fiddly and faster. I definitely think boats in this price range is where the market would be at. The Feathercrafts of this world (beautiful as they were) are always going to be a tough sell for someone who uses it just a few trips a year. Which is where I think the real market would be for folding kayaks.

I had a Quest 155, which is just a little more difficult to assemble than the 150. After I became familiar with the process, I was able to casually assemble the 155 in about 30 min, so I'd think you can probably assemble the 150 in about 25 min with a bit more practice.

But, yeah, assembly time for the Quest was a major hindrance for me. Kayaking in general is too elaborate for most spontaneous outings; the additional assembly time for folders makes it even more problematic.

If someone wants to partake in quick outdoor exercise, kayaking is far less efficient than activities like hiking, running, and cycling. Even Alv at Pakboats stated that assembling and disassembling a kayak before and after each use isn't very convenient. So if folders are generally intended to be left assembled for the entire paddling season, they aren't really more advantageous than hardshell boats for the majority of paddlers. Unless they have limited storage space, most paddlers with a personal vehicle don't have a compelling reason to have a folder over a hardshell.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8