Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sad news
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:49 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

siravingmon wrote:
Just to put those Folbot figures into perspective, Oru claim to have sold 10,000 kayaks by mid 2016: http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/blog/oru-kayak-design-get-people-paddling/

It'll be interesting to see how much longevity Oru has, but for the time being it seems to be the 'it' folding kayak. I looked at their fairly new 'coast' touring model. It's a good boat that's a little easier to assemble than most other folders, but it has drawbacks as well.

Accessing gear is cumbersome because you have to partially disassemble it to get access inside. It's paddling characteristics seem pretty similar to my Quest 155, but it costs several hundred $ more. It's reportedly very durable, a Trak Seeker costs a few hundred more and to me seems significantly better.

'I actually read the Bible quite frequently. Can I tell you why? I stay in a lot of hotels. And I like to scare my kids before bed.' Jon Stewart

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:08 pm 
forum fanatic

I am not sure I believe any of the above numbers. For Folbot to have grossed $600,000 from sales of about 270 boats, they would have to have sold at an average price of over $2,000. The typical Folbot sold for substantially less. Similarly for Oru, selling 10,000 boats would be nice, but claiming that number may not make it so. I don't doubt that they have had a successful market introduction, but 10,000? The boats show up in stores, but they don't seem to be flying off the shelves.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:54 am 

After years of paddling the waters of New Jersey and the Gulf Coast of Florida, I've only encountered three people actually paddling folding kayaks; a couple from New York City in a pair of Folbot Coopers and a fellow sailing an ancient Klepper Aerius on Sarasota Bay. In the past year, I've talked with two Oru owners assembling their ingenious chloroplast kayaks on the beach. The now-defunct Jersey Paddler had an Oru Bay in its inventory but it didn't sell, even at a discount, and was finally returned to Oru. This alone makes me skeptical of Oru's stated sales figures. And, as Apathizer has noted, the heavy, polyethylene boats, loosely defined as kayaks, seem to be everywhere. And these may soon be outnumbered by SUPs. You can even find these at your local Costco where you can pick up a "two pack" of 9'8" boats complete with paddles for $699 or a model called the Emotion Envy 11 which they describe as "having graceful lines inspired by jet watercraft".The high-end, composite kayak market has greatly diminished in recent years and the folding kayak market, at best always a small niche in the overall market, is hardly noticeable. Before too long, the making of high quality folding kayaks may become a curious cottage industry, the sort of thing that gets written about in long articles in The New Yorker.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:08 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Even with possible overseas sales (Germany and Japan are relatively good markets, as Alv knows), I take you guys' skepticism seriously...

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:01 pm 
forum fanatic

There are a couple of boats and parts left for those who are still interested in a Feathercraft.
A message was posted in Facebook from the Feathercraft dealer in Switzerland. I have no affiliation with the shop.

"Today, the last shipment of Feathercraft Kayaks (and parts) is leaving Vancouver with destination Zürich!
There is no skin-material left at the factory and the machines are being sold. So if there was anyone hoping for a happy end - no.
Although: Doug will open in spring a small work shop in Victoria to supply service and spare parts to us owners! We do appreciate that very much...
If you are seeking for the last factory new Kayaks or original Feathercraft accessories such as paddles, pack cart, floating pump, get in contact with us or check out our page http://www.feathercraft.ch"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:07 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks Sasha, that's good news about the Victoria workshop.
Interesting to note that some of the kayaks appearing on the Swiss site are listed as Aironaut tandems. I think I'm right in thinking that these were not available before now

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:29 pm 

Good news. I was beginning to think that Feathercraft had abandoned support for the many FC owners much like Folbot did. Pleased to see that Doug Simpson's ethical commitment to Feathercraft paddlers remains untarnished, a rare thing these days. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:27 am 

Jake wrote:
Good news. I was beginning to think that Feathercraft had abandoned support for the many FC owners much like Folbot did. Pleased to see that Doug Simpson's ethical commitment to Feathercraft paddlers remains untarnished, a rare thing these days. :D

Out of curiosity, I tried to find out Doug's age. While I didn't find an exact figure, he graduated from college/university in 1972. This means he's probably in his mid-60s. If that's the case he's probably at an age where he still wants something to do at least on a limited basis just to keep occupied. A repair shop for his boats seems pretty ideal. :)

'I actually read the Bible quite frequently. Can I tell you why? I stay in a lot of hotels. And I like to scare my kids before bed.' Jon Stewart

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:34 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I wish Feathercraft (and all kayak makers) would do as Perception has always done -- leave an archive of their old catalogs and sales sites on the Web. Since most kayaks last a long time and tend to get traded and sold multiple times, it is enormously helpful to be able to look up specs and even original pricing on the countless vintage models that circulate.

When I sold my first two Feathercrafts it was very useful to be able to print out the archived assembly instructions and original data sheets from the FC site but now I worry that I won't have that option any more (time to scan my Wisper assembly book and make some hard copies as well). I have some Feathercraft accessories that I may be selling and have no idea what their original cost was (that is helpful in setting a reasonable price.)

Does anyone know if somebody at FC is going to leave an archive somewhere? I notice their site has been wiped off the web, but maybe I have not delved deep enough.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:43 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

http://feathercraft.com/is still up, just checked

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:20 pm 
faltbootemeister

Seriously?!?
Wow. Where are they all?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:47 am 

I, too, am highly skeptical of Oru's 10,000 figure but I recently received an email offer of a $400 discount on a new version of their Bay kayak. Ten boats were offered at the discounted price and when I checked the site late on the same day, a "sold out" sign had been posted. Oru has apparently made a some modifications to their boats. For one, they claim to have eliminated the forward, shin-scraping rib on the 12 foot Bay. They seem to take suggestions seriously.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:02 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Yes, thanks, Simon, I did find that the site is still up, but the "accessories" section is gone so I can't determine the old list price of the Feathercraft backpack. Anybody recall what that was? Someone is interested in buying the one that came with my Wisper and I am considering selling it since I rarely have used it -- I have a rolling duffel that is easier to pack and transport on the airlines and I am too short to comfortably carry 38 + pounds in that long pack myself.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:15 pm 
forum fanatic

Kerry, I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but in this snapshot of Feathercraft's 2015 catalogue there is a backpack for single kayaks, listed for $250.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:02 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks, Sasha, exactly the information that I needed!

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Pakboat XT-15

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next