Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:43 pm 
forum fanatic

I'm getting ready to educate myself on all the other folding kayak makers, and I wonder if any other Feathercraft lover has done the same exercise.

If you really like the lines, rigidity, weight and handling of boats like a Kahuna and a Wisper, what comes closest? Kleppers?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:55 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I am really digging my Nautiraid 14. Similar to a Kahuna only more comfortable. I am seriously considering a Narak

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:10 am 
forum fanatic

And looking at your boat list, you should know! :) Pretty sure there used to be a Khalatsano in that list.

Chuck is the 14 a model they don't make any more? I'm seeing a 416 in the "Raid Range" that looks Kahuna-ish. The Naraks do look good . . .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:31 am 

No longer made. It was sold by Baidarka Boats in the 90s. Made a few repairs on the frame. Most comfortable kayak seating I have been in. There was a Khats, K Light, Newer K2, K1, Older K2 in the past

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:13 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

From a pragmatic point, if you're thinking new boat, I'd suggest the Pakboat Quest 150. It's light weight, versatile and soon to to be available at a very attractive price. If you'd consider a used boat, I'd suggest a Feathercraft. Kahunas and K-Lights turn up quite often on the used market.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:18 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I agree with Jake that looking at Pakboats would be worthwhile. I've owned 3 Feathercrafts (still have a Wisper) and 3 Pakboats, including a Quest 135, the smaller predecessor to the new Quest 150. Assembly is somewhat easier with the Pakboats, once you get the hang of it, because of the removable decks. The water feel, comfort and performance of my Quest is very similar to the Wisper though being near 2 feet shorter it's a little slower -- the 150 should be very comparable. Hard to beat the price -- paid less for all 3 Pakboats together than I did for my first Feathercraft (a $3200 Kahuna). Quality is very good.

By the way, I have a used Pakboat XT-15 in excellent condition for sale for $800 -- very similar to a Kahuna in length and width. Belonged to my ex boyfriend, who only took it out a few times. It's identical to the XT-16 that Pakboat still sells but 1 foot shorter (and not convertible to tandem).

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

Last edited by KerryOnKayaks on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:10 am 

The new Nautiraids are beautiful, and are now distributed in the US by Chesapeake Light Craft.

There is also Fujita...

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:22 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

KerryOnKayaks wrote:
By the way, I have a used Pakboat XT-15 in excellent condition for sale for $800 -- very similar to a Kahuna in length and width. Belonged to my ex boyfriend, who only took it out a few times. It's identical to the XT-16 that Pakboat still sells but 1 foot shorter (and not convertible to tandem).

This post seems to have a minor error. Pakboats doesn't seem to make the XT-16 anymore, either as a single or single/double convertible. The only XT model they seem to make is the XT-17, which can be configured as either a single or double.

The XT-17 has a payload capacity of about 400 pounds, so it's a nice expedition boat for a larger solo paddler (over 200 pounds). Configured as a double it's good for day paddles or short trips with two average-size adults. As a solo boat for average size paddlers it seems like overkill.

'I actually read the Bible quite frequently. Can I tell you why? I stay in a lot of hotels. And I like to scare my kids before bed.' Jon Stewart

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:37 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Yes, you are correct. I goofed and meant the XT-17 (though they were selling some of the discontinued XT-16's for a while on their website.

Actually I had typed XT-17 originally but had said it was 1 foot longer than the XT-15 that I have at the moment. I went to correct that and changed the wrong bit!

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:28 am 
forum fanatic

Don't forget about Trak kayaks, they seem to be a very good successor to Feathercraft. I've only owned mine for two weeks now but it handles very much like a K-1. Even though I haven't tried out the hull changing capabilities of this kayak I can tell that it is a very nimble craft with a good future. The only downside I have found so far is that the seat sometimes does't want to come loose when packing it away but that is a easy workaround.