Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Doug Simpson?
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:38 pm 
recent arrival

Hello,

I recently acquired an older, but lightly used, K1 and could use some replacement parts. Doug has mentioned on his site that he's planning on organizing a "limited" used parts shop and I'm wondering if anybody has a back channel to Doug or otherwise might have some idea as to when and where this might take place. Any information would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Malcolm
Powell River, BC
Canada

Post subject: Re: Doug Simpson?
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:22 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

No back channel but Doug has posted that they will have a parts and accessories operation going sometime next autumn. I suppose that's why the Feathercraft website is still up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:51 pm 
forum fanatic

Having a parts shop will be a *very* welcome development. The current Feathercraft site says the ETA is Fall of this year. I am hoping it goes as planned.

2003 Feathercraft Big Kahuna - Red/Black
2009 Folbot Kiawah EXP - Yellow/Black
2015 Folbot Kiawak - Yellow/White
1990's Folbot Greenland 2 - Yellow/Black (sold)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:51 pm 
recent arrival

Doug is a lovely, thoughtful man, one forced to close up shop by the rising costs and shrinking market for his extraordinary folding boats. His retirement leaves an extraordinary legacy in kayak design and craftsmanship, a legacy his family and employees helped him to build.

In my experience, he and Rob get round to emails with requests for parts after a couple of weeks or so. One has to hope that they will have time and the will to help with repairs as well. Feathercraft was the rare company that stood by their products. Now, without a full shop, that will be harder. Tg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:34 pm 
recent arrival

Well, Doug Simpson might be a nice guy, the fact is that when I ordered my Whisper end of 2014, I specificalky asked if the compagny was looking to be around for the long run.
The answer was an unequivocal yes and I commited myself on these assumtion.
Discovering some 2 years later that they had gone teletubbies up, without even being told ( customer's data bank.....5 years warranty ) was quite a blow.
I had spent a lot of time reseaching, my boat being my first and living in France, I came very close to buying a Nautiraid.
However, based on my readings on different forums, this one included, I decided to go for a Whisper XP.
The boat is state of the art and I enjoy every minute I spend on the water with it.
Still, I am left without spare parts and if anything breaks down, I'll be basically stuffed..
Somebody said on another thread that he had been sort of anticipating this for a few years

Now I keep hearing shrinking market ...etc...fact is Keper and Nautiraid ( 1906 and 1936 respectively ) seem to be doing well. Nautiraid build kajak for the french army....that must help ro stay afloat.
If my boat was to need replacement, I would definatly go for a Nautiraid.....by the look of it, the closest to a Feathercraft.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:10 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Bruno wrote:

Now I keep hearing shrinking market ...etc...fact is Keper and Nautiraid ( 1906 and 1936 respectively ) seem to be doing well. Nautiraid build kajak for the french army....that must help ro stay afloat.
If my boat was to need replacement, I would definatly go for a Nautiraid.....by the look of it, the closest to a Feathercraft.

Klepper was taken over by Wayland. There have been a lot of complaints about their ( lack of ) customer service. Doing well may be a stretch.

I purchased a used Nautiraid 14 last year. Hands down the most comfortable kayak I have ever been in.

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:37 pm 
faltbootemeister

Bruno, can't blame you for being upset. I'm sure that most of the folding kayak community was shocked by the news of Feathercraft going under. I found it strange that this happened right after they came out with the double version of the Aironaut, a kayak that by their description was hard to manufacture. Why attempt this if things are going bad. Maybe things happened that none of us will ever know.

Having said this, I have purchased three Feathercrafts. I wish I could deal with and support businesses like Feathercraft all the time. They were a pure pleasure to work with and lovely people to talk to. I feel that i don't just own a kayak but a timeless piece of art.

If it will ease your mind somewhat, my Kahuna is seventeen years old. The skin has some very minor wear that is barely noticeable. Chances are that any repairs that you may eventually do will come from normal wear and tear that will be beyond the warranty period. The frame could be more of a problem but not hopeless by any means. I have the older one piece fiberglass coming, the one thing that I feel would be the most difficult repair item, but you have the newer plastic inserts, much less of a concern. The aluminum tubes could be repaired in a similar way that tent frames are repaired. I'm not trying to trivialize your concerns but there are means for you to enjoy your kayak for a long time. That's one of the great things about this forum, clever people finding a way to keep their kayaks around.