Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:11 pm 
recent arrival

hi I bought this double seater and i wonder about age andmaker. only the spray skirts have a Klepper tag. please notice the snap click detail. another mistery ahead is the sail rigging, all wood parts, i know nothing about sails i see no place in the bow to tie the jib. will post photos of sail rigging later

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmbah9E4

hope someone can help me...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:32 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

The frame looks very much like a klepper and I would have said it was one. Until I saw the close up of some fittings, now I am not sure. Is the coaming in three pieces as early klepper were, later the coaming is a one piece affair with what seem flimsy hinges joining the rear pieces. The skin could have been a replacement and whoever made it didn,t put the sail attachment at the bow. (On a second look I think there are two pieces between the deck chair and the boat that look like the rear pieces of the coaming so it could be a 1960ish klepper frame)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:22 pm 
recent arrival

The coaming is 3 pieces. I took more pics: https://flickr.com/photos/138929300@N06 ... 8164162012

The other fittings for the coaling are kind of strange too . Once I take Flickr I will publish pics of sails rigging which is absolute mystery

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:14 pm 

I am sure it is a klepper frame with some repairs made by someone. The nose piece with the lightening holes is exactly like my 1960? not sure of the year klepper. The stern piece with the round holes is a home made replacement part. The three piece coaming is also the same as my old one The metal clamping part also looks home made and perhaps a little crude or should I say not up to kleppers of the period. So I will say it,s a klepper frame with some home made repairs. The photos of the skin make it look many years younger than the frame. I hope someone else will look and say what they think.

Post subject: sail rig, help!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:17 pm 
recent arrival

any Idea how this works? The hull has absolutely nothing to fasten stays to.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsksZFih9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:12 pm 

The piece that goes across the round posts is the cross piece that clamps onto the coaming there should be slots in it where the J bolts go, on each end is the lee boards. Underneath is what looks like the old wood mast, if it is square at one end then it is the mast, I would advise getting a metal one. The rods with what look like sort of golf sticks, I have never seen these before. So I need to try and find out. Sorry I have not been able to as yet see your message. I get the impression this is a klepper frame from the early 60s. A very interesting site is www.faltbootbasteln.de , the text is in German but it is well worth looking at to see lots of early folders and some not so early. One section on it is faltboot unter segeln and in one of the pic there it shows lee boards like yours.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:50 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Are the 'golf sticks' the gaff of a gaff rig?