Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Passat
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:17 pm 
faltbootemeister

You've heard of buying a "pig in a poke. " I think that is the standard line for buying something you have not seen first.
How about a "boat in a bag?" Same idea, right?
So I bought a Klepper sailboat in a bag, well, seven bags to be sure. I only have two bags home. I opened the mast bag and wow...this is no small boat. I seem to have purchased a Klepper Passat and did not understand that is a very large boat. The mast alone must have as much wood as a complete Aerius frame.
I'm a little worried my extra Aerius sail will not work. In fact, I'm sure. The mast on the Aerius looks like the toothpick next to the Passat mast.
Who else out there has a Passat?

Post subject: Re: Passat
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:14 pm 
forum fanatic

I have been sailing a Passat for several years. The Passat with the centerboard sails upwind much better than the Klepper Master with the lee boards. I bought a "spare" Passat. The hull is not serviceable but I really bought the boat for spare parts. In addition to the frame and hull, the boat came with a main and a jib. The sails are in need of some care, cleaning and reattaching the bolt rope to the sail. The sail material would be described as spinnaker material. If you are interested in parts or the sails let me know. With spring around the corner here in Michigan, I am ready to get the boat out for the spring tune up. Let me know if you have any questions regarding rigging or fitting I can send pictures if you want.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:31 pm 
faltbootemeister

Thank you Thalweg for the prompt response. I confess, I bought two boats on one trip thinking I would have a complete boat. I was actually looking for the small boat, the Master I guess it is called. Both sellers were uncertain their boats were complete (One seller knew they had no sail) so I figured I'd have one for sure. I get home and one look at that mast told me of my error.
I'm glad to know you are out there since I can ask questions of someone who has one.
My first question will be, does the Aerius sail fit the Master?
My second question is, how many models of sail boats did Klepper make?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:41 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Klepper made half a dozen sailboats-- they are listed and pictured on the usual German sites.

I recently acquired a Passat, too, and haven't had a chance to set it up yet (waiting for the snow to melt from the back yard). It is complete except for the sail, and I'm hoping to get the dimensions for the sail from Andrew (posted above) so that I can have one made. It is a real work of art. 200+ lbs-- a lot of boat-- but it will make a 14 footer, which is larger than a Master but smaller than a Super Master (there was a Super Master for sale here in Ottawa, recently, but I canceled going to look at it after realizing it wasn't exactly what I wanted).

There is no way an Aerius sail will ever fit a Passat-- it's about 1/3 the size. And you'd still need the jib. And maybe the spinnaker and/or genoa :-). Do a little searching online and you'll pull up the necessary info, mostly from Germany but translate.google.com takes care of that.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:26 pm 
faltbootemeister

Half a dozen sailboats? And I thought they only made kayaks. Okay, so three of us have Passats. We'll form our own squadron.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:42 pm 
forum fanatic

treewater wrote:
Half a dozen sailboats? And I thought they only made kayaks. Okay, so three of us have Passats. We'll form our own squadron.

folding sail-boats:
Master: 1957 -> 1970
Passat: 1962 -> 1970
Supermaster: 1964 -> 1967

Other sail-boats in the sixties (Polyester etc.)
Kontiki: 1967-> ?
Capitano: 1967 -> ?
Moth: 1967 -> ?

Other sail-boats in the seventies (Polyester etc.)

cabin sail-boats:
Fam
Condor 55
Condor 70

dinghies:
Partner
Trainer
Jeton

Monas

R.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:44 pm 

There is a listing of the different models, somewhere, but I can't find it right now. There is the Master, Super Master, Passat, a bigger one that started with "C"...

You've found this site, and the youtube videos, right?
http://www.faltbootbasteln.de/fbb-klepper_passat.html

As I'm posting this, I see that Rainer stepped in. Thank you Rainer!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:01 pm 
faltbootemeister

Thanks all. I did find the Passat site by google search. That's how I identified what I had. As Ranier posted I am surprised,... impressed maybe. I wonder how many of those boats they sold? Whatever the case, I'm looking forward to getting it all here and seeing if it is complete. And as the advertizers jingle goes.....collect all ten?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:32 am 

I've seen a number of Masters, a few Passats, and one Super Master. Never any of the others in North America, and they're not even up on the German sites. Weight-wise, the Passat is at the ragged edge-- you'd need a truck for anything bigger, and then why not a hardshell? I think they sold a fair number of Masters and Passats, but that's just a guess. Enjoy looking at the few youtube videos that are out there.

Post subject: Re: Passat sails
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:04 pm 
faltbootemeister

Just got home with a Passat sail I found in Florida. Sail is pretty rough, rotted, but is complete. I am puzzled. The boom I got with the boat is 89 inches. The boom I just got is 96. As well, one "sheet slider" (for lack of a better term), the part that holds the boom sheet block, is 24 inches where the larger boom is 9 inches. The difference in booms would mean a difference in sail sizes. The difference in block tracks, who knows?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:50 pm 

I have the original brochures and price sheets. There was a choice of cotton or dacron sails, and there were optional genoa and spinnaker. I wish I could find a used sail, but I figure I'm going to have to take the measurements off the rig and have a sail loft make me a main and genoa.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:24 am 
faltbootemeister

Hello Chris, does your price sheet include dimensions for the sails? I have the wrong sail for my boat. It is 135 inch by 91 inch. Way too short for the Passat mast. That is a 42.6 sq. ft. sail if the leech is figured straight. It may be a sail for the Tradewind but it has the Passat "clip" as I call it, the custom slider that attaches the boom to the mast. I don't know if the Tradewind uses the same attachment clip.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:53 am 
forum fanatic

treewater wrote:
... dimensions for the sails?

"Fock" (foresail?): 3 m²
"Großsegel" (mainsail?): 6m²
"Genua-Fock": 4,30 m²
"Spinnaker": 10 m²

You just have to convert square meters into square inch

R.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:57 am 
faltbootemeister

Thank you. forsail is 32 ft sq, mainsail is 64 ft sq, 46 on the other mainsail ? , 108 sq ft on the spinaker.
mine would be a Genua-Fock as the closest sail dimension. I not that unlike many canoe and kayak sails, these "boat sails" are sloop rigs rather than lateen. There is no extra boom for the sail. The for sail, or jib sail, is also uncommon to the canoe and kayak lateen rig.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:18 pm 

The kayak sails are gunther-sloops. These are bermudan sloops. I believe it is the Genoa that is 46 sq ft.

As soon as the snow and mud calm down enough, I will lay out my mast and boom and take the measurements off in order to order a sail. I'll be glad to share the numbers I get. But you must be able to do the same thing, yourself, or are you missing your boom?