Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: corrosion on fittings
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:04 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Seeking advice on protecting fittings. I brought my Klepper Quattro out today for the Spring season in Atlanta and noticed (not or the first time) some oxidization on some of the fittings. The boat is 6 years old, has been in a combination of salt and fresh water, and I take fairly good care to clean before storage. The fittings that show oxidization are the stem mushroom studs and pins, the rudder bracket, and the mast hole in the combing. The frame is carbon and is all clean, and the frame clips are perfect. Any advice? Boeshield?

Thanks in advance,
g

1990 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
36' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:45 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Hey Greg!

Good question... must be the salt water from down south right? Have you tried a good stiff brush and some vigorous elbow work to clean them up? Never used the Boshield but I'd think that or something like a super thin coat of oil, applied by a just barely dampened cloth? I don't know. Certainly don't want to get oil on the canvas.

I just uncovered my boat today. I'll take a look at the fittings and see what's going on. Might spur some brain activity.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:41 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Yes, most definitely the corrosion occurred from lengthy and constant exposure to tropical weather. And the next time I take the boat apart, likely in November, I will polish the oxidization off. But I would like to treat the affected parts for the future. I am not worried about it for the time being...it is not that bad and there is no salt water in my plans for this season.

Best,
g

1990 A1 Expedition
36' jib
Torqeedo outboard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:10 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Bioshield is amazing stuff and has successfullu prevented salt water corrosion on my aluminium framed kayaks for the last 3+ years, but be warned that it does get everywhere so you need to use it incredibly sparingly

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:52 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks, I will have to get some Boeshield. The only part to ever fail on my 47 year old A2 was a mushroom stud, which is where the worst oxidization is on my "new" Klepper. I am no metallurgist (although my father was :? ) but I think the corrosion comes from two different alloys in contact with each other and with salt. Just a guess.

g

1990 A1 Expedition
36' jib
Torqeedo outboard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:42 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

That's what's called galvanic corrosion, if it's any help

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

Second the Boeshield, along with careful rinsing after salt exposure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:28 pm 

As i am now permanantly on salt water, and it,s even in the air, i must look into protection, i don,t know about getting boshield here but there must be an alternative. Boshield T9 is available in the UK.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:25 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Simon and Michael,

Thanks, very helpful.

John, I think you can get Boeshield delivered to you, here is a source:

http://www.marinechandlery.com/boeshiel ... erosol-4oz

I relied on it when I had my Feathercrafts, but I never thought of using it on a Klepper. Duh.

Best,
g

1990 A1 Expedition
36' jib
Torqeedo outboard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:24 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

It seems to be quite expensive in the UK, and if I understand rightly, can't be flown over from abroad because of restrictions on sending by air (not entirely surprising if it is so flammable). It can be bought in 12oz, 4oz, and 1oz cans and bottles and looks to be marketed to bicycles as a chain lubricant (in the bottles). Is one or other more suitable for our use (i.e. bottle or spray can and how much do you use/how long does a can/bottle last)?
Thanks.
Ian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:55 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hi Ian,
I had the same trouble getting hold of Boeshield when I was still in Italy, partly due to the shipping problem. The last time I rode my motorbike back to the UK I took a day trip down country from Bristol to a cycle shop in the countryside to stock up....

It is very expensive outside the UK, but lasts forever. I wouldn't recommend the spray. Too little control and you need the tiniest amounts. I have the small plastic bottles - they can leak a bit by the way if left on their side so keep 'em upright. How many bottles you need will depend on how often you go out, of course. I'd get a couple and expect them to last over a year easily with regular weekend use.

Apply with rubber gloves - you really don't want it on your hands. It doesn't come off anything easily so I don"t apply it every time I go out, though I do rinse everything in fresh eater each time, but then galvanic corrosion isn't an issue for me (it's just aluminium on aluminium)

Last edited by siravingmon on Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:59 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Thanks, Simon.
I bought from here in the end: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boeshield-T-9 ... Swr7ZW2tN1

I can think of lots of things that might benefit from a coating of this.
Ian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:36 am 

Boshield in the UK. I found it in numerouse locations. The one i have ordered it from is,www.planetx.co.uk. Not as cheap as ebay but still probably one of the lowest.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

There are now a number of similar aerosol heavy wax sprays from various suppliers that are more or less equivalent to Boeshield. I found CRC Outdoor Corrosion Inhibitor at a local supplier, and no doubt there are many other products, including in the UK.