Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to me Aerius 20
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:12 pm 
I'm new to the forum and to folding kayaks but not new to sea kayaking. I just scored this Klepper Aerius 20 at a thrift shop in Flagstaff, Arizona. I wasn't familiar with the 20 and did some research (including here). Apparently it was designed for a military contract and sold in the mid-70s. It has a simpler and stronger - but heavier - frame than the "regular" Aerius. You can (maybe) see in the photos the lack of round hull stringers.

It needs a bit of TLC . . . but for $300 I'm not complaining.

Post subject: Re: New to me Aerius 20
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:08 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I absolutely love the 20. A rare and fascinating boat. I think you got a terrific deal, assuming it is in relatively good shape.

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:20 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Congrats J, great deal and great kayak. From the pics it appears that the skin is not tucked into the combing and "boomerang", when you do that it will tighten up considerably. You will also find options for much more functional and comfortable seats, just check out Longhaul kayaks. Enjoy!

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:07 am 
Thanks both. The sponsons were not inflated either, so I know it will tighten up. One seam needs partial re-stitching near the boomerang.

I know Long Haul Kayaks and Mark very well; I'm sure I'll have some parts to order from him. Unfortunately I was in a hurry and had the wrong vehicle, so I had to leave the boat at the shop for now (I live in Tucson). I'll report further once I get it down here for a complete inspection.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:02 pm 
Well, I got the Klepper home, assembled it properly and went through it thoroughly, and . . . it's in amazingly good condition. The hull is completely sound and leak-free. There are a couple pinholes in the deck, and the end of one seam needs re-stitching (suggestions on thread, techniques, etc.?). The sponsons hold air. The frame is all solid and does not need re-varnishing. The seats and backrests need replacing. It came with the rudder, although I'd like to replace it with the later, more efficient foil design. It also came with the Klepper cockpit cover that allows you to use individual spray skirts. The repair kit has never been touched - amusingly, the tube of adhesive appeared full but was completely empty. I suspect the stuff simply evaporated over the years.

The more I look at the boat, the better deal it seems.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:02 pm 

You got a phenomenal deal! And a rare find-- it's extraordinary to find a boat of that age in that condition. You've probably guessed this already, but talk to Mark Eckhardt about the thread and about rudders.

That cockpit spray-cover sounds like it's worth the purchase price, alone.

Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:00 pm 
With the Aerius 20 surveyed and found to be amazingly solid, I'm going to address the two issues it does have. A slight problem in the way of solving them is the variant frame on the Aerius 20, which has no center floorboard.

I'd like to replace the seat bottoms, which are dry and brittle, but they attach via side clips to the 20's frame, thusly:

I'd also like to replace the rudder with the modern and more efficient foil design. The kit comes with new foot pedals which again attach to the center floorboard, while mine clamp to two runners on the side frame pieces:

I could easily fabricate center floorboard sections from Baltic birch for the seats and rudder pedals, and install sections of the current U-shaped track each fits into. Or, possibly on the seats, just swap over the old twin seat clips to the new seat.

I emailed Gerald Grace at Klepper U.S. and he's going to call me. He assures me there are simple solutions.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:00 pm 

Also look at Long Haul and Pakboats seats. Both have good reps and would probably just strap right in.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:44 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Gerald will give you good advice, he really knows his stuff. But I would take Chris' advice and get Mark's thoughts as well.
I retrofit the Klepper rail system on my old A2 and it was an easy fix, and it allows you to be able to adjust seat and pedals to fit and to install the new seats which are very comfortable for me. And fabricating the platform from marine plywood was pretty straightforward, although I was unable to match exactly the dimensions of the original Klepper wood, I think it had to do with metrics. But the rails are, imo, a pain and not very well designed. No matter how hard you tighten the pedals to the rail they can still slip...at the worst possible time! If you were to design a better system that would be great...if you can imagine it then DLee will fabricate it. A ratcheting mechanism like most mechanically adjusted car seats would work. Just sayin'.

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:56 am 

There are a lot of improved steering systems out there for the Klepper. In fact, I'd say it's hard for any other system NOT to be an improvement on those pedals (note that I am still using my Long Haul pedals. Just lazy, I guess...).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:50 am 

RUDDER,S I have been looking at the "SealLine Smart Track Rudder System" which i think could be adapted to a Klepper by being attached to the frames. Have a look it might give us ideas.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:50 pm 
forum fanatic

re: tightening the pedals to the rails

I just dismantled my Aerius 2 to repair a broken wood piece in the bow stem. While doing so I got a fresh look at the entire frame for the first time in a long time.

The rudder-pedal-to-the- rail connection is flimsy at best in these boats. I use 2-3 heavy-duty plastic zip-ties to reinforce the interface. Zip-ties are a good item to include in a Klepper kit as they are dispensable and make excellent temporary fix solutions to frame issues or for temporarily securing pouches, rod holders, closed-cell foam mini-cushions for knees-on-rib friction points, etc. Previous to this dismantling I had jerry-rigged my solo-ized cockpit area to the point that I never wanted to disassemble the boat. I'm now back at square one, and am rethinking how to conveniently re-install the various mods in a less time-consuming, pernickety way. Zip-ties are also quite effective in restraining misbehaving longerons which often tend to wander out of their rubber sockets and require firmer parameters to hold them in place. Smallish light-duty white zip-ties work well for that purpose.

Tomorrow I'm taking delivery of a used Aerius 1. Can't wait!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:44 pm 
By the way, can someone tell me what the tube/pin in the repair kit photo above is for?