Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:38 am 
faltbootemeister

did someone build a seasock for the T9?

I need some hints: fixing? in combination with the sprayskirt?

or is it better to fill the fore and after only with dufflebags?

are the air- AND watertight duffles availble?

br hannes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:20 pm 
faltbootemeister

i googled that wayland is offering a seasock for the T9

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:04 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

You can definitely get air bags for the T9, you might be able to find some that double as bags...

I've only seen the old original spray skirts for the T9 from Klepper, and they aren't that great with snaps on the side and a built in 'chimney.'

I'd like to hear how your conversation goes with Wayland if you contact them. I'd like to get something like a seasock but really more of a 'well.' A completely open at the top giant kind of bucket that you sit in... one that could fill up in a capsize but be emptied easily by pulling it inside out when you roll the boat back over... if that makes any sense. Essentially a big canvas tub that keeps water from getting in the rest of the boat.

Sorry for that ramble...

You could probably get a very nice cockpit cover/spray skirt made by Markus Heise in Germany. This would be top notch. Probably worth sending him an email while you're contacting Wayland.

http://www.heise-faltboote.de

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:37 am 
faltbootemeister

background:
raid on lake neusiedl.4-5 bft. i capsized in high short waves (similar to breakers) and swam with the full boat aprox 2 hours to get in lee of a reedisland where i could empty the boat.
the "waterproof" and "airtight" dufflebags are not waterproof and not airtight so the kayak was very flat in the waves and with bigger every wave the boat was filled again.
it was a hard job not to become despaired and not to cramp.

so i build last week my self developed waterproof and airtight (4 hours under pressure) duffles and looking for a seasock to reduce the potential watervolume after capsizing.

safty equipment:
sprayskirt, big dipper, pump, lifting bodies at the ends
shorty, life jacket, paddlejacket

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:46 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I love Dennis' idea of a well, I could use something like that on my wooden sailing canoe. Has anyone tried something similar?

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:13 am 
faltbootemeister

wayland's seasock looks like a "well". it is fixed with velco at the coaming

http://www.wayland.pl/de/shop_de/zubehor/kokon-klepper-t9/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:50 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

That Wayland seasock looks interesting... I wonder if the top cover disconnects? I only want the tub portion with the cockpit open on top for sailing.

I've been thinking of trying to make one Simon but I just don't have the time or a real good understanding of sewing templates...

Here's a drawing I did a while back, this is for the double, the single would be open front to back with handles or something in the bottom so you can pull it inside out when you right the boat:

dschin, you can get very good float bags which will fit in the T9 and they won't leak (ever) unless you puncture them.

I also strongly suggest getting a 5 gallon canvas bucket and small electric water pump that you can keep behind your seat in the boat. These boats have so much volume that once swamped you need to be able to move water very quickly... as you experienced. The bucket is amazing the the pump will finish off hours of hand pumping or sponging as you continue to paddle or sail.

This is the pump I have and generally take it out every trip that isn't flat water: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/attwood-water-buster-portable-submersible-pump?a=683720&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&gclid=Cj0KEQjwhtO7BRCtwuO9gfTH-fQBEiQAdJ8FY4VZDZw9aAwI2Xqdg4G-Y6EsN37TnyQ7rDuqF7TNz6MaAmxO8P8HAQ

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:15 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks for the sketches Dennis,

I like the idea of the handle, perhaps with a velcro tab on the outside in the same place (less aquaseal needed) to keep it in place when you don't want it to come out

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:36 pm 
faltbootemeister

@dlee: which float bags would you recommend?

i know very good ones but there you can't store gear. and i have to store gear.
i know some good dufflebags but the are not really waterproof under weightpresdure, even if you close them as recommened by the producer.