Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Klepper age conundrum
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:24 pm 
recent arrival

I have a very nice Klepper AEII that was made (ostensibly) in the early 70's. I bought it from the original owner, and it's in very nice shape. The hull has no cracks or major patches, and should last a few years of heavy use. I live a stone's throw from the ocean for the first time in my life, so it's getting used weekly.

At any rate, I am having trouble aging it. It has blue rubber rod holders, the three canvas bags, three piece combs and solid stern/bow pieces. Unless I am mistaken, the rubber rod holders predate 1970, but the solid stern/bow pieces are after 1970.

I am not at all worried about the precise age, as much as accessories. I would like to get the spray deck and fishing accy rod holder/light, and I am not sure if anyone produces one that will fit.

I'm assuming, being this old, that it's a 520cm?

I'm not sure if it's just a busy season, or if my emails ended up in a spam folder, but I have contacted long haul kayaks, wayland UK, and klepper USA, and not heard back from any of them in 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:43 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on being able to use your Klepper as it was intended. Yes, it is a 520 and that is really all you need to know to get the right spray deck and cover. It is surprising that you have not heard back from KlepperAmerica or LongHaul, they are typically very responsive. Did you leave vmail as well as email? That might work.

Best,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:10 am 
recent arrival

I actually sent a 2nd email to KlepperUSA and received a response within hours. First one must have been lost in the shuffle. Thank you for the quick response and warm welcome!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:44 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

The boat will be before 1970 as it has blue rod holders and a three piece coaming. It has newer bow and stern pieces so these were changed from the originals. I would change the blue rod holders as these are probably hard and don,t grip the rods. The coaming is the best if it,s ok as the one that klepper replaced it with was in my opinion a step backwards in what was probably a cost saving idea or to reduce the number of parts, the front and back pieces have been joind by what seems "flimsy hinges" although in practise they are ok with care. You can make your own spray cover with two openings or just one for the rear seat position, this can be held on with "press fasteners'.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:34 pm 
forum fanatic

john allsop wrote:
The boat will be before 1970 as it has blue rod holders and a three piece coaming. It has newer bow and stern pieces so these were changed from the originals.

black rod holders (rubber), the same as the Super-T6: 1950
blue rod holders (rubber) 1950 -> 1978, black rod holders (plastic) ~1982 -> today
solid stern/bow pieces ~1976 -> today
coaming with hinge: ~ 1977 -> today

R.