Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:49 am 
forum fan

With a little bit of delay, I finally got my AEII hull back from wayland.

I am very happy with the result, nice fit.looks very professional.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:49 pm 
That's interesting. I've never seen a Klepper hull wrap around the cockpit coaming like that. It usually tucks in the slot on the top of the coming leaving the outer wood surface of coaming exposed. I guess that in this case, the upper portion of the hull is anchored on the bottom of the cockpit coaming.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:13 pm 
The question is - how to attach the spraydeck now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:03 am 
forum fan

was my fault, remember I am a novice ;)

Later in the day I did re-assemble the coaming in the correct way and even fit the rudder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:28 am 
What repair did Wayland do to the hull?

It looks very nice, and probably very cost effective too, I guess?

cheers,

PK

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:35 am 
Wayland make entire AEII hulls, AFAIK. Half the price of original Klepper hull. Probably can re-use old deck if it's still usable, saving some costs this way. For European customers this is cheaper than doing same job at Longhaul.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:52 am 
forum fan

They put a new rubber bottom. Originally was rubber, now its black hypalon.

I lost the original looks, but now its easier to assemble and transport. And I assume its safer too.

I kept the total cost of this kayak below $1000 (purchase + repair), which is an interesting price for a novice to be introduced to the folding world with a klepper ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:29 pm 
Why did it lose the original look? The Klepper logo is on the deck, if I'm correct, and you did not replace the deck - only bottom.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:05 pm 
Alm wrote:
Why did it lose the original look? The Klepper logo is on the deck, if I'm correct, and you did not replace the deck - only bottom.

The Klepper logo on my Aerius II is located on the starboard side of the deck about eight inches aft of the cockpit so it's possible that it's there but just out of view. But, I too would have expected to see at least a corner of the flag. Maybe it's located further aft of where mine is located; but, if not, then the mystery is afoot. :mrgreen:

I don't know how old his old hull was, but that frame looks old to me. I haven't seen inflatable cushions and back rests on Kleppers in a while which is what that one would have with those bare wood seats and seat backs. Also, it’s difficult to tell for sure, but it appears to have the old blue rubber rod clamps as well. That would make it an old frame for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:11 am 
forum fan

Yes, I still keep the klepper logo on the deck, but not he one that goes at the bottom hull.

The original bottom was gray with the logo, in a way I did like it gray, but according to wayland the black hypalon is tougher.

All the frame is original, and I am taking my time to restore it. I even use old wooden paddles ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:00 am 
perello wrote:
Yes, I still keep the klepper logo on the deck, but not he one that goes at the bottom hull.

The original bottom was gray with the logo, in a way I did like it gray, but according to wayland the black hypalon is tougher.

All the frame is original, and I am taking my time to restore it. I even use old wooden paddles ;)

I'm curious; where is the logo left on the deck located? If it's like mine, you probably have no choice but to leave it there. :lol:

The black hypalon that Klepper uses on its Expedition and Quattro models is heavier (even without the reinforced hypalon strips) than the gray hypalon that comes standard on the other Klepper models, but I'm not sure if that means that all black hypalon is heavier than the gray hypalon regardless of its source. But, maybe it does. I'm sure that you can tell the difference.

I have a frame from a Klepper that I bought new in 1965. If I wanted to take the time to restore it, it would be, in my opinion, as good as or better than the new ones. The wood would be heavier for sure. As part of your restoration efforts, you should consider replacing the rubber rod holders (if that's what you have) with the new, heavier duty black ones. They'll last longer.

Good luck with your efforts to fix up your boat.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:24 pm 
forum fan

so here I am taking my time to build it right

ok, let's paddle

there was a town here below

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:37 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Nice looking boat. May I ask how much it costs to get a new hull sewn on to your deck?
Thanks,
Ian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:58 pm 
forum fan

the best is that you ask them, because the price included the shipping.

I can say that cost is very fair for such a good craftmanship :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:01 am 
forum fan

Another test trip, this time at the region were the best wine of the world is made (at least according to me ;) )

(more pictures to follow)