Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:44 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Hi,
I've been offered a Klepper Quattro where the canvas has rotted and entirely come away from the hull. I believe the frame is ok. I have an aerius II with a frame in rather worse condition. Can anyone tell me whether I should be able to simply use the Quattro frame in the Aerius II skin? Are there different models of Quattro? (It is definitely a double, i just don't want to be caught out by discovering there are stretched versions.)

I realise I may be able to get a new canvas deck sewn onto the hull (I don't yet know whether it is hypalon or TPU), but in the short term I'm assuming that that will be more money than I want to spend and if I can just use the quattro frame as an upgrade for my rather battered Aerius II then I might just have to acquire this new (to me) kayak! I'm thinking I may be able to sail it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:54 am 
Site Admin

A Quattro is simply an Aerius II with an additional set of inflatable sponsons sewn in the hull. Everything interchanges with the AII.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:20 am 

Thanks, Michael, for confirming that for me. So I think I'll see if I can pick this up at a reasonable price, as I can then marry it with the good skin I have.
In case anyone else is researching the same question I did find that there is a stretch version of the quattro as can be seen on the Klepper website here: https://klepper.de/en/double-seaterxxl- ... l-585.html
and here:
https://klepper.de/en/double-seater-2/a ... i-545.html
Armed with that information I was able to check photos and it is definitely the standard length not the stretched version as it has three rather than four stations in the cockpit area.
Thanks again for your help.
Ian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:41 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Just a bit of clarification...
The current A2, whether quattro or standard, is 545 cm long, and the longer version is 585 cm. But the older version of the quattro or standard has a length A2 of 520 cm. I don't know when the length changed, maybe something like 8 years ago? But the implication is that the standard length for the A2 has changed, so it makes sense to check just to make sure the frame and skin match. Hope that makes sense.

Best,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:35 am 

Ah, thanks for that clarification. I'd better take a tape measure when I go. :-)
All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

"In 2010 a design change evolved the 520 cm long double seater into a 545 cm version that has replaced the Aerius 520 in Europe and America as standard model. The additional length of the new Aerius II 545 mainly went into the cockpit size, providing the rear seat with significantly more leg room. In the Japan the Aerius 520 is kept in the standard program for customers that are looking for this 'replica' model, or that otherwise prefer the slighty shorter cockpit and length to the newer Aerius 545.."

I'd overlooked this.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:48 am 

Thanks for all the advice. I now have it at home. I'm fairly sure it is a Quattro 545 model. I've cleaned up the skin and frame, which were filthy. (Cat hair, spiders, woodlice, snails, etc.) The frame is mostly in as new condition, though the stern piece has a bit of black, presumably where it has been sitting in damp. It is all drying nicely now. The deck has mostly come away from the hull, which I've washed down. The latter seems to be in virtually new condition now its clean ... but of course without a deck. Parts of the deck less affected by the damp might be salvageable as new deck pieces for a much shorter boat. I've a Tyne Prefect I've been wanting to reskin, and may see if some of the canvas can be reused on that. Or I could try seeing whether one could make cut out patterns for deck from the rather ragged pieces of deck that remain.

For the Quattro it is going to have to be a matter of getting a deck resewn on. I've asked Klepper/Wayland to quote on that and am awaiting a reply. I'm assuming this is going to be somewhere above £500. (If I had more time, it would probably be interesting to try to do a deck myself.)

I got out my other 1960s/70s Aerius II with the Wayland skin and have with a great deal of labour managed to insert it into the skin, which appears to have shrunk. (My tape measure was saying the skin was 500cm long before I got the frame in.) Having measured it again with the frame in, it is just 510cm long. I'm leaving it assembled in the garden to see if it will stretch a bit, but 10 cms and more of shrinkage seems quite remarkable. No wonder it was a struggle to get the hinge down. I haven't pushed the sides out yet. I'll let it 'relax' over the course of the day and (dewy) night before doing that.

I have acquired some sailing gear with the Quattro, which looks unused and not having been left outside was not in a filthy state. The pair of inflatable outriggers, however, don't seem to have a means of mounting to the deck. I presume this must still be in the house I acquired them from. Does anyone know how Klepper outriggers should mount? The aluminium arms presumably ought to slide into a third tube that mounts on the coaming, or on a board attached to the coaming. That seems to be what I'm missing. (If anyone can point me to a photo of this, it might help me or a contact locate it at the house.)

I must say, this stretched Aerius/Quattro is quite a size and weight!