Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seat recommedations?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:13 pm 
forum fan

Hello All,

I have a fairly old Aerius I frame which I've been using with a newer skin. The problem is the seat, which came as a flat rectangle of plywood for the bottom, and the 'backrest' was only the ash rod with the fittings on the end. I glued and screwed two pieces of plywood (like a Rob Roy) for the backrest, and just sat on a 'kneeling cushion' (a 3 cm thick piece of fairly hard closed-cell foam).

But this doesn't really work well. I can be out for an hour or two before things start to hurt and the body complains about things.

The backrest finally broke (it was only 6 mm plywood), and I need to put something more substantial there on the ash rod. The flat portion on the rod is only about 18 cm long, so it isn't going to be as wide as a more 'modern' backrest. Does anyone know how thick the plywood should be? Is it flat or did Klepper laminate something that was curved? The website at www.patcool.de shows some for a T9 and the text says it is mahoghany. What was the 'normal' wood? And those pictures show something wider than 18 cm. Finally, am I wasting my time doing this?

For the part one sits on, I do have a slightly more modern Klepper seat, that is the black foam thing that is screwed to a plywood rectangle, and I guess I could try and mount this on the bottom. But once again, I am wondering if I should be looking at something more modern. One can google 'kayak seat' and get tons of links, but almost all of them are for sit on top kayaks, and I haven't actually seen that much for a kayak cockpit, not to mention a klepper.

I'm in Sweden so sourcing from the US can be problematic but not impossible.

Post subject: Re: Seat recommedations?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:41 pm 
faltbootemeister

Hi
I have used float cushions with a lashing across the boat on a rigid double paddle canoe. A wide piece of webbing might do well. There are folding camp seats that rely on straps to be upright. I would not stick to the original plan, nor limit myself to kayak seats. Just try to find something light, comfortable and water resistant. Even a garden kneeling pad may serve.
Good luck, post your decision and results.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:25 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Jona,

I have found the Klepper seats (newest model) to be quite comfortable for long paddles...much more comfortable than the old style. The seat is also adjustable fore and aft. The problem is that you will need to add a mounting rail to accomodate these seats. Not a big problem, the rails are available from Klepper for a reasonable price and you can make a platform that will fit on top of the keel board to make it all work. Just my $.02
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:12 am 
forum fan

Hello,

I looked at the current Klepper seat and while I like the way it looks (and sounds) I didn't like the price. Helmi Sport in Germany wanted 186 Euros for one. That's what I paid for the whole frame (and a leaking skin). I'll keep looking but probably put together what I have (the older foam seat with some extra foam cushions and something to mount more foam on the backrest).

Jonathan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:33 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I have a skin on frame native Greenland replica kayak which has no seat at all in it, just a Snapdragon backband. I have found that a 1/2" thick ensolite closed cell camping sleeping pad, cut in half (so the piece is about 60 cm wide and 100 cm long) makes a very comfortable seat. I fold over a third of it so the doubled area goes under my thighs, with the fold facing the bow, and then wrap the single layer of the upper part of it up and around the backband. You can use closed cell "yoga mat" foam as well as long as it, like Ensolite, does not absorb water. I have also cut pieces of the foam sheet to fit in between the frame rods to even out the pressure under the seat area. Besides being comfortable and infinitely adjustable, the chunk of Ensolite can also be pulled out of the kayak during rest stops to use for a seat pad on land.

You have to watch with using cushions that you don't raise your center of gravity too high in the boat. Your Klepper is unlikely to be as narrow and twitchy as my Greenland SOF, but as an example of how just a small elevation can make a huge difference i stability, last week I tried putting a second foam pad (just a 1" thick type you would use on a car seat or at a stadium) under my usual Ensolite piece in that kayak. I paddled out about 50 meters from shore into Lake Erie in some mild chop, nothing I had not paddled comfortably in before, yet when I turned my head abruptly at one point towards my cousin paddling nearby, just as a small wave hit me broadside, I capsized the kayak for the first time in the 8 years I have owned and regularly used it! I had neglected to wear a sprayskirt or put in my float bags (it was just a day paddle close to shore in warm water and I "never" capsize :-( ). So I had to swim the boat to shore to empty and relaunch. Before relaunching I removed the extra pad and restored my normal stability -- no problems after that even though the waves got bigger. Just that one extra inch.....

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:04 am 
forum fan

Hi,

I had actually tried two of my 'kneeling pads' (maybe 3 cm thick) in the bottom of the klepper and I noticed no improvement in comfort but a definite decrease in stability (or at least the perceived stability). I may even reconsider putting in the older seat for a while since I found the skwoosh pads on sale (10% off)at www.kajaksaker.se. Sitting on the floor at home with one of those wasn't too bad and they seemed a bit bigger than the klepper seat so they may work with the current seat (the rectangle of plywood, slightly tilted). Unfortunately the seat and the pads are at home but the klepper is out at the summer house....

I may just put some plywood on the seat back bar so I can tie some padding on it. Not sure about the shape. I can get the general form from pictures but the current klepper backrest is quite narrow and it probably needs to be in the right place, which in turn is going to depend on the seat and padding and the person sitting in the kayak. Guess it is going to be a lot of trial and error....

Jonathan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:04 am 
forum fan

Hello All,

Just a quick note: The klepper seat I had was originally on an 'unverted u' frame (the keel piece) and what I wanted to mount it on is an 'H' frame (even older). Needless to say, the clip at the front of the seat doesn't project below the seat enough to engage the tab on the keel piece. I tried a sqwoosh pad and it wasn't too bad so I think it will just be the backrest woodworking for now....

Jonathan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:37 pm 
forum fanatic

I've been happy with this set-up: a simple $40 suspended kayak seat, a version of which I use in 3 different folders and one solo tripping canoe. It's really little more than a beefed-up backband. The part that really makes the seat comfortable and versatile, however, is the lightweight thermarest mattress I fold into 4seat-size parts and inflate slightly to attain the height I require. The "mattress" remains folded and I insert it into a rugged 3mm plastic bag which keeps it dry under most conditions. The folded mattress tucks in under the suspended seat and I secure it with a simple compression strap so it doesn't wiggle around. It remains comfy for hours. The best part about it is that I can deflate it as I like while on the run when I want to lower my centre of gravity. I usually keep it inflated to a depth of 3-4 in. when I want to single-blade with a bent-shaft paddle with the rudder activated. Want to double-blade for a while? I reach down and twist the inflation mouthpiece and let out a little air. Re-Inflating it on the run requires a little dexterity which I only attempt in my A2 and soloized Tyne Tandem as it's too difficult, and too risky to accomplish, within the confines of the A1 cockpit. A1's and A2's with rudders activated paddle nicely with single blades à la Vernon Kruger. Half the fun is jury-rigging the seat on the driveway where some epic pretend-paddling voyages can take place. And the neighbours will find your behaviour quite endearing. I should add that some people here have tried and liked "Longhaul kayak"s Deluxe Comfort Seats which are a simple one-stop seat solution.