restoration of folbot kayak from mid 1930s.

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

John3
recent arrival

restoration of folbot kayak from mid 1930s.

Post by John3 »

I would love to restore a folbot kayak from the mid to late 1930s. I need a terrific amount of guidance; especially as to what the hull is made from and what is it replaced with today? Are the replacements readily available? Further reading that I could do before jumping into this subject..
Thanks,
John C

mje
Site Admin

Re: restoration of folbot kayak from mid 1930s.

Post by mje »

John3 wrote:I would love to restore a folbot kayak from the mid to late 1930s. I need a terrific amount of guidance; especially as to what the hull is made from and what is it replaced with today? Are the replacements readily available? Further reading that I could do before jumping into this subject..
Thanks,
John C
Boats then were made with a rubberized canvas hull, and an Egyptian cotton deck. Rubberized canvas is an obsolete material; modern boats used Hypalon, a synthetic similar to neoprene, bonded to a polyester cloth core. You can buy that from raft supply companies, or as a roofing material at your coal big box store. There are other materials, like PVC laminated to polyester. Some home builders coat polyester with urethanes.

If you don’t want to sew your own, Long Haul Folding Kayaks makes excellent replacement hula, and if your deck is in good shape, they can sew a new hull to it. I had them make a new Hull for a Klepper Master I owned some years ago.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

John3
recent arrival

Re: restoration of folbot kayak from mid 1930s.

Post by John3 »

Thank you!! I will follow up on this!

Return to “Klepper”