Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Klepper Master
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:24 pm 
forum fan

Hi All--
I have an opportunity to acquire a 1970s Klepper Master.

I have always wanted to add one of these boats to my collection. The frame looks to be in good condition, all the parts appear present and accounted for. Obviously the condition of the skin has to be questioned. I have restored several Aerius II boats, so I am pretty familiar with what I need to invest.

I am not sure if this boat has the complete sail package. I do have a complete S-2 sail on one of my other boats. So my question is whether the S-2 sail package can be used on the Master? Are they interchagable?

I have never owned a Master, but I am pretty familiar with the Klepper family. Any thoughts about what to look out for would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Dan

Last edited by ds7771 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Klepper Master
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

I purchased a Master for $500 some years ago, and the hull was shot. The seller ended up refunding some of my payment. I had MarkEckhart at Long Haul sew a new hull onto the deck of my boat, which cost me about half of what a complete skin would have cost.

I think you can assume the hull on the boat you’re considering will also need replacing. $1000 seems like a lot, even with the outboard, as a decent used 2-stroke outboard can be had for around $125-200. That looks like a British Seagull outboard, and those sell for around $200 on eBay. They’ll last forever with maintenance, I’m told.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:04 am 
forum fan

Michael--thanks. You are right, thats a seagull outboard. I agree that 1000 is pretty steep. I have seen a couple of Masters recently auctioned for 200-300. This boat has been in storage for 30+ years, and it looks to be in pristine condition. It has literally every original part and accessory that it came with, including the original cart and some little plastic buoys. I have not seen the skin yet, but I would guess its fairly shot. If I recall correctly, Klepper was not using Hypalon for the Master, and its most likely rubber. Last time I worked with Mark Eckhart on a 1950s boat, he was not in favor of trying to re-sew the deck, but this one might be in better shape. I am a bit concerned about the rod holders. I read they are not the same size as the Aerius rod holders, and might need to be special order item.

How do you like your Master? To be candid, I am on the fence about this craft. I have never used one, but I read that Klepper stopped making them for a reason. They were not strong sellers. They are draggy, inefficient, heavy things, hard to bail after a capsize. Have you sailed yours? I like the idea of having a 3 in 1 boat, but Im not sure if I will take to it, after being accustomed to a double kayak.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:28 am 
forum fanatic

ds7771 wrote:
...Klepper was not using Hypalon for the Master, and its most likely rubber.
Dan

That's not right, Klepper used Hypalon for the master from 1970 to ...?
The skin of the boat in your picture seems (to me) to be Hypalon
Rainer

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:32 am 
Site Admin

My Master had a rubber hull. I don’t know that any Hypalon-hulled Masters, if they were made, were imported into the US.

Mark did a super job on mine, but I found that it was too small for me to row comfortably, and I sold it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:52 am 
forum fan

It sure does look like hypalon, but I had a boat from the 1950s that looked the same, and that hull was definitely rubber. I will have to see it up close. Clearly it has not aged gracefully from being folded up in long term storage.

Last edited by ds7771 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:54 am 
forum fanatic

The master was from 1970 to 1973? only made with a hypalon hull. After that the production of the master was stopped. The 1973 catalog is a US catalog.
Rainer

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.