Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Long Haul Accessories
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:45 pm 
forum fan

Our Mk II stretch should be done around November 10, It’s well equipped but I didn’t order any of the accessories. Your feedback please on the following.

Repair Kit
Rib Packing Sleeves
Dog sling
Small Cockpit Bag
Deck Board

I can make versions of all except the cockpit bag, but I’m thinking It just might be nice to spend the money and be done. Opinions?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:28 am 
forum fanatic

I normally just make-do with stuff but the times I've shelled out the bucks to buy something branded that's high quality, I've rarely regretted the expense. You spend the money once and it's yours for years. If you like the product and want it and can afford it without going into debt and messing up your lifestyle, I'd say get it.

BTW, I'm buying a slightly damaged Seavivor Greenland Solo - a wooden boat the manufacturer of which is no longer in operation - and I've talked with Mark about getting the damaged piece repaired. I've been really favorably impressed by Mark and LongHaul in my interactions with them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:47 am 
forum fan

Christov10 wrote:
I normally just make-do with stuff but the times I've shelled out the bucks to buy something branded that's high quality, I've rarely regretted the expense. You spend the money once and it's yours for years. If you like the product and want it and can afford it without going into debt and messing up your lifestyle, I'd say get it.

BTW, I'm buying a slightly damaged Seavivor Greenland Solo - a wooden boat the manufacturer of which is no longer in operation - and I've talked with Mark about getting the damaged piece repaired. I've been really favorably impressed by Mark and LongHaul in my interactions with them.

Thanks, like you, I’m impressed with the quality of Long Haul products and their team.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:00 am 
forum fanatic

My make vs. buy questions:

Do I have the time to make the item if I want to?
Can I produce a better object for my specific use?
If the item is readily available and suited to my use, what is my time worth?
Does the enjoyment of making the object supersede economic considerations?

My personal experience:

Repair Kit: Comprehensive, high value to purchase cost ratio, happy with purchase.
Rib Packing Sleeves: High quality, high value to purchase cost ratio. I use them for storage and transport over road, but not when flying.
Dog sling: No experience. Seems like a must have considering the risk to the skin from claws. Cheap insurance for an expensive boat.
Small Cockpit Bag: Inspected, but not purchased. Very well made, high value to purchase cost ratio. Will be purchasing in spring
Deck Board: I have a few. Well made, great value.

I can make all those items and material costs would be lower than purchase costs. Considering I have very little free time, the purchase prices are very reasonable, and the quality/function excellent, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy them.

Kevin

Long Haul MK II Stretch Quattro
BSD Expedition Schooner Rig
Best Kayaking Partner In The World

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:47 am 
forum fan

I bought all of the accessories listed except repair kit.

My comments:

The deck board quality is excellent. I put a compass and mounts for vhf radio and gps. gives me a nice dashboard. Problem is I can't use a deck bag and that at same time.

Below deck bag is really worth the cost you will not find anything near that quality elsewhere. I am big and getting access to the under deck bag while on the water with a spray skirt is difficult for me. These are great for keeping all the small items together so they don't get lost,

Dog sling is necessary to protect the boat problem is my dogs are not water friendly and I am still working on getting them into the boat,

The bags are super high quality and fit nicely under the deck. Nice for keeping small kayak items together so things don't get lost.