Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Packing the Ute
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:08 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I set my Ute up in the studio a couple weeks ago to give her a good cleaning. Meanwhile I let the studio go so I have been going over to move stuff out. Today was the day that I needed to pack and get the Ute out of there.

Long story short, having only done this maybe 3 times before, I was able to pack the Ute in 16.5 minutes. Fully inflated to zippered in one bag - without rushing. That was a surprise, and no sweat either. Nice boat, too bad she's too small for me.

D

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Post subject: Re: Packing the Ute
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:14 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I have been considering the Ute vs the K-Light mainly on price point. Besides being too small for you is there anything else that you didn't like about the boat?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:31 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I love the boat. Even though it is too small for me. I've been considering selling it but keep thinking it would be a great size for my son or wife. But neither of them are really into the water at all. So I'll probably let it go and put the money into another Long Haul or Klepper.

I'm 5'8 and hover around 200#, the bulk of my weight residing in the upper/lower torso, Ha. The boat is a lot of fun to paddle but with my weight distribution it is very tippy. I don't mind that, except that the Ute is pretty tough to get back in if you roll over. I tried a dozen times in vain to get back in via the common cowboy rescue and finally gave up. A paddle float is the only way I can get back into the boat. That said, I haven't had a capsize in quite a while. The only thing that 'really' bothers me about my combination with the boat is that the cockpit is tight for me. I fit fine, and it's comfortable, but I can't turn around or get up on my knees to fish or dig out some gear. Any attempt to move about the cockpit is a recipe for getting wet.

For example: Early in my Ute days I would practice re-entering the boat after purposefully capsizing after a decent paddle. I was using a solid paddle float at the time which I kept directly behind the cockpit. So I climb back into the boat, get situated, take off the paddle float and then realize that I simply cannot turn around to put the paddle float back into position behind me. As a matter of fact, I can't put it anywhere because I couldn't reach forward of the cockpit either (without tipping over again). So for the rest of the journey I had to sit with this big flotation pillow between my legs. I went out that afternoon and purchased an inflatable paddle float.

I had spoken to Mark at Long Haul before I bought the boat and he suggested it might be too small for me. I like to fish, and when asked he replied "yes, you can fish from the boat, but I've only fished for small fish." This is entirely accurate as the craft is quite tender with so much weight above the gunnel.

Everything else about the boat was great. Light, amazingly well made, fast, fairly nimble... a lot of fun. I just like a little more space in the boat for all my various 'water' toys, and to be able to move around a bit to play with them.

So, to answer your question, NO, other than being too small (for me) there is nothing else I don't like about the Ute.

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

You might want to check out the reviews on the main pages, too. My girlfriend tested the Ute and thought it was the fastest and most nimble folder she's tried so far. She's 5'2" and 110. While it's too small for me, I was impressed with the ruggedness of the boat and the quick assembly.