Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:22 pm 
faltbootemeister
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:41 am
Posts: 222
The paddles and sail will take the Long Haul Mark II Commando on the Black Sea and the Danube Delta...:)

We'll test the boat on narrow channels and the open sea.

New video and images to follow soon.

_________________
Seasick & Grumpy enjoying a Long Haul Mark II Commando with BSD 36' HP Sport sail

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:57 pm 
forum fan

Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 11:38 pm
Posts: 10
Have a great trip. Your video of your trip through the Everglades is great. Looking forward to the next.
Andy

_________________
Klepper AEII Expedition
Seavivor Greenland Solo
Kruger Sea Wind
Valley Argonaut
Current Designs Gulfstream


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:34 pm 
faltbootemeister
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:41 am
Posts: 222
Thank you. I'll try my best.

_________________
Seasick & Grumpy enjoying a Long Haul Mark II Commando with BSD 36' HP Sport sail

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:17 pm 
faltbootemeister
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:41 am
Posts: 222
The Long Haul Mark II Commando returned to US from the Black Sea after a long and exciting journey. The full video diary will follow soon. A few random shots from the upcoming video.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6Q9nD ... eorghe.jpg

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-zt2yr ... orghe2.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-s ... 8474_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 2967_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 8531_n.jpg

_________________
Seasick & Grumpy enjoying a Long Haul Mark II Commando with BSD 36' HP Sport sail

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:57 am 
forum fanatic

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:38 am
Posts: 86
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Wow! An impressive set-up and amount of gear.

If I may so say, you guys look very, er, "military". Did you encounter any hassles from officials or people generally in that regard?

I ask because down here at the tip of Africa, I wouldn't go paddling anywhere in a black bad-ass boat, wearing what could be misconstrued as special forces uniform - that would lead to trouble in this part of the world. Then again, paranoia is our unofficial currency ... :twisted:

_________________
Feathercraft Airline Java
Nortik Trekraft, awaiting the river's embrace
1960s Klepper Aerius II, now gone be the star in a Special Forces movie
Folbot Greenland II, now at a new home on the Southern Cape coast


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:41 am 
faltbootemeister
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:41 am
Posts: 222
CanvasClipper wrote:
Wow! An impressive set-up and amount of gear.

If I may so say, you guys look very, er, "military". Did you encounter any hassles from officials or people generally in that regard?

I ask because down here at the tip of Africa, I wouldn't go paddling anywhere in a black bad-ass boat, wearing what could be misconstrued as special forces uniform - that would lead to trouble in this part of the world. Then again, paranoia is our unofficial currency ... :twisted:


It may look "military", but, in fact, the equipment is just reliable and the colors help us melt in nature without spooking the wild life. Officials and people alike are a bit intrigued initially but most of the time they only take pictures as if we were an exotic animal on their safari...:) That's when they see us. Sometimes they don't even notice us.

_________________
Seasick & Grumpy enjoying a Long Haul Mark II Commando with BSD 36' HP Sport sail

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:06 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:57 am
Posts: 1228
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Wow, did you have any issues with getting visas for Russia?? I may try and get to Lake Baikal in spring. Excess baggage charges?? I can get away with a Feathercraft w paddles only. I know those old fatigues are comfy, but I do not want to look like I am in the military when I travel outside of the USA. I figure the stamps in my passport from using AMC would raise suspicion enough

_________________
Feathercraft Kahuna ( Angela )
Mariner Express ( Miruku Maru ) ( In Storage)
Innova Helios 380
Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:50 am 
faltbootemeister
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:41 am
Posts: 222
tsunamichuck wrote:
Wow, did you have any issues with getting visas for Russia?? I may try and get to Lake Baikal in spring. Excess baggage charges?? I can get away with a Feathercraft w paddles only. I know those old fatigues are comfy, but I do not want to look like I am in the military when I travel outside of the USA. I figure the stamps in my passport from using AMC would raise suspicion enough


This time I went to Romania. No visa needed. When I went to Irkutsk and Lake Baikal I obtained the visa from the Russian consulate in NY. No problem, except you need someone, can be a travel agency, to invite you.

This time we had 400 lbs of gear and we had to ship the heavier/bulkier stuff via cargo shipping. The Long Haul Mark II Commando is the only boat of this class that I trust to carry a lot of gear in rough open sea and surf conditions.

Those "old fatigues" are the latest generation silver (Ag 47) thread poly fabrics...:)

_________________
Seasick & Grumpy enjoying a Long Haul Mark II Commando with BSD 36' HP Sport sail

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:33 pm 
forum fanatic

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:38 am
Posts: 86
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
DoiNomazi wrote:
The Long Haul Mark II Commando is the only boat of this class that I trust to carry a lot of gear in rough open sea and surf conditions.


Ja, awesome boat - the ultimate kayak! Long may Long Haul prosper.

And it sounds like a great trip. The Danube Delta is high on my want list. Having just re-read Van Till's classic memoir of paddling the Danube in 1938, with the war looming in the background, I'm all enthused again.

I interviewed his widow a few years ago. She was 97 and one of the first questions she asked me was where she could get a new skin for their old Klepper (Long Island Duck number 4)!

_________________
Feathercraft Airline Java
Nortik Trekraft, awaiting the river's embrace
1960s Klepper Aerius II, now gone be the star in a Special Forces movie
Folbot Greenland II, now at a new home on the Southern Cape coast


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:53 pm 
faltbootemeister
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:41 am
Posts: 222
http://vimeo.com/50826642

This is the story of the first Long Haul Mark II Commando folding kayak that went to Europe for a 12 day journey in the Danube Delta and on the Black Sea. The 149 nautical miles adventure takes the Two Nomads from Murighiol in the Danube Delta to the ancient port of Tomis on the Black Sea. Echoing thoughts of the Roman poet Ovid, who was exiled to the ancient port of Tomis, this 76 minute video diary takes you on a ride aboard their kayak... Enjoy!

_________________
Seasick & Grumpy enjoying a Long Haul Mark II Commando with BSD 36' HP Sport sail

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:30 pm 
faltbootemeister

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:03 am
Posts: 180
Location: Arizona, USA
Once again, it was excellent!

Enjoyed every minute. Entertaining and informative.

I listened attentively to you and your wife as each of you supplied comments; I watched the Mark II Commando carefully for you while you two were scanning the horizon :mrgreen: ; and was amazed (once again) at how well you prepared, packed and stowed your gear!

After this adventure, I followed the two of you as you rafted the Zambezi. I had a great time and didn't get a drop of water on me !!

I look forward to the next one ...


DoiNomazi wrote:
http://vimeo.com/50826642

This is the story of the first Long Haul Mark II Commando folding kayak that went to Europe for a 12 day journey in the Danube Delta and on the Black Sea. The 149 nautical miles adventure takes the Two Nomads from Murighiol in the Danube Delta to the ancient port of Tomis on the Black Sea. Echoing thoughts of the Roman poet Ovid, who was exiled to the ancient port of Tomis, this 76 minute video diary takes you on a ride aboard their kayak... Enjoy!

_________________
Kenton


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:00 pm 
faltbootemeister
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:41 am
Posts: 222
Thank you for the kind words! We'll try to take the kayak for another paddling/sailing adventure in the Everglades in December.

_________________
Seasick & Grumpy enjoying a Long Haul Mark II Commando with BSD 36' HP Sport sail

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:20 pm 
faltbootemeister
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:41 am
Posts: 222
Still considering a roundtrip from KW to DT if we can find one more crew/boat willing to try. Seventy miles of open water...:)

_________________
Seasick & Grumpy enjoying a Long Haul Mark II Commando with BSD 36' HP Sport sail

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:47 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:05 pm
Posts: 1398
Location: South Salem, NY
Doi, that is a really well done film. Great adventure, great document. Music was great as well. I'm very impressed. You've really got me thinking about picking up a GoPro camera.

What's KW and DT?

Thanks again.

Dennis

_________________
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:32 am 
faltbootemeister
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:41 am
Posts: 222
DLee wrote:
Doi, that is a really well done film. Great adventure, great document. Music was great as well. I'm very impressed. You've really got me thinking about picking up a GoPro camera.

What's KW and DT?

Thanks again.

Dennis


Thank you, Dennis.

Key West to Dry Tortugas and back... hopefully!.. :)

GoPro Hero3 Black Edition seems to be a decent camera for this type of activities.

_________________
Seasick & Grumpy enjoying a Long Haul Mark II Commando with BSD 36' HP Sport sail

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group