Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:32 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Years ago, I talked with a Coast Guard chief who skippered a 95 foot patrol cutter out of Station Sandy Hook which is near the lower end of New York harbor. He told me that they regarded kayaks as "flotsam" and questioned the sanity of anyone who would paddle such a cockelshell in the those waters. Being the risk averse sort, I have never paddled the waters of Gotham. So far as deck color is concerned, if I were fortunate enough to buy a new Feathercraft, I might likely choose grey and that's pretty close to black.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:11 am 
[url]We all enjoy our boats and there is plenty room on the water..[/url]

Reminds me of what space is like. There's lots of room out there but you still have to keep an eye out for an asteroid or two.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:25 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

DoiNomazi,

They sound like pretty handy lights. I like the fact that you can switch between modes. Got a link?

I don't know how often you run at night... but it wouldn't be a bad idea to run with the solid white on while underway. A little dish under the lights will keep the light off your boat and night vision intact. A Coast Guard approved light should have at least a 2-3 mile range. Mounted in the best possible place as yours is... that's pretty visible. Having the light on will also keep you from scrambling for a light switch when you may need to be paddling a little more diligently instead . Ha.

You guys actually have a lot of great looking gear. You might be surprised how often I stop your videos just to try and get a closer look at what you are using out there.

Frank, sounds like you've got plenty of color. If you have any doubts about the yellow cover, go gray. I really like mine.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:39 am 
Quote:
I don't know how often you run at night... but it wouldn't be a bad idea to run with the solid white on while underway. A little dish under the lights will keep the light off your boat and night vision intact. A Coast Guard approved light should have at least a 2-3 mile range. Mounted in the best possible place as yours is... that's pretty visible. Having the light on will also keep you from scrambling for a light switch when you may need to be paddling a little more diligently instead

Is it OK with the Coast Guard to run with a red light on the mast because red would preserve your night vision best? I for one have never been out on the water at night. Wife isn't comforatble with being out at night but we don't have running lights except in case of an emergency I have a 5 watt LED flashlight and an LED head light.

Gray just seems so blah next to blue. Yellow and blue are complementary colors as are orange and blue.

Has anyone tried to attach a running light to the mast on a KS? I'm not sure it will work the way the mast fully deploys. I will see Dave or Patti or both this weekend at Canoecopia in Madison, WI and ask. I will report my findings Monday.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:15 pm 
faltbootemeister

DLee wrote:
DoiNomazi,

They sound like pretty handy lights. I like the fact that you can switch between modes. Got a link?

I don't know how often you run at night... but it wouldn't be a bad idea to run with the solid white on while underway. A little dish under the lights will keep the light off your boat and night vision intact. A Coast Guard approved light should have at least a 2-3 mile range. Mounted in the best possible place as yours is... that's pretty visible. Having the light on will also keep you from scrambling for a light switch when you may need to be paddling a little more diligently instead . Ha.

You guys actually have a lot of great looking gear. You might be surprised how often I stop your videos just to try and get a closer look at what you are using out there.

Frank, sounds like you've got plenty of color. If you have any doubts about the yellow cover, go gray. I really like mine.

d

I can't find my models, but they are very similar to this http://www.seattlesportsco.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=68

I don't see myself paddling at night in the NY Harbor, unless I am returning late and I had no choice.

I paddle at night very rarely only when I can't make it to shore on time, and so far only in remote places where there is no traffic.

Once again, I don't mean to encourage anybody to adopt an unsafe color, light, or even an unsafe demeanor. Very far from it. And I do respect each paddler's option(s).

That being said, and with all due respect to everybody's opinion, my humble $ 0.02 is that the best prevention is keeping your eyes and ears on alert and not rely on the assumption that other boaters will see you first. I paddle/sail a very small watercraft and I always get out of the way assuming that the other boat didn't see me, the captain is distracted, etc.

I love nature and the wildlife and I just don't like to hike, bike, paddle in bright colors. It is my personal choice, not better and not worse than others.

However, I am the first one to admit that BRIGHT VIVID COLORS ARE BETTER in "find and rescue" situations. No doubt about that.

In our case, we don't expect much help from outside (knock on wood, so far so good). When we go somewhere we are pretty much ready to be self reliable. I don't expect and I don't want anybody to risk his/her life to save me because I made a stupid mistake... but that's another topic that goes beyond choosing the favorite color..:)

Cheers.

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:47 pm 
Quote:
In our case, we don't expect much help from outside (knock on wood, so far so good). When we go somewhere we are pretty much ready to be self reliable. I don't expect and I don't want anybody to risk his/her life to save me because I made a stupid mistake... but that's another topic that goes beyond choosing the favorite color..

It's too bad everyone doesn't think like this. I think more and more we are being taught to depend on others, especially government, for help even in our simple daily life pursuits . Please get me off this soapbox as I could go on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:07 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

That's a nice light, thanks for the link. I doubt the red and green segments would be too visible from a distance... but it's an attempt.

I remember talking to a sailboat guy at a party in San Francisco. We were talking about sailing on the bay and traffic. His opinion was that there could be only two boats out on the entire bay, sailing around, and eventually they would be on a collision course. I thought this was pretty funny at the time but didn't give it too much heed. Now after years of experience, I still think it's funny, but I also realize it is true. Bodies in motion attract one another... I'm convinced. Ha. Anyway, I think DoiNomazi is absolutely correct in saying that when you are out in the kayak you have to take the pro-active approach to driving whenever possible.

No Frank, you cannot use the red light alone at night - at least not legally. You basically have three options, 1) the flashlight that you already have, 2) standard navigation lighting; red, green and white, or 3) an all around white light. The flashlight is the actual requirement, and it's so that a kayaker or row boater can make himself seen by oncoming traffic - by either shining the light towards the traffic or illuminating the sail or major portion of the boat. Running with just a red light would confuse boaters that understand and follow the rules of marine navigation. In some cases a red light alone could actually make another boat turn towards you... because they would think you were heading in a certain direction in relation to them... An all around white light is actually the lighting for a vessel at anchor. So a small boat underway gets to use that lighting as well. I guess they figure it's not going to move that fast... so just like boat at anchor, other traffic should give it a wide berth.

I spent years on NY Harbors waters and I have no interest in being out there on a kayak unless it's right around sunrise. Once those waters wake up, literally, it's nothing but bouncies for the rest of the day. The currents are really strong, pick up very quickly, and never really stop. But the back side of the statue and Ellis Island might be fun to explore a bit. It's very shallow over there as well.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP