Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:37 pm 
faltbootemeister

Well boys & girls and gifted animals, I ordered my MK2 (stretch length) kayak and Kayaksailor 1.6 M sail & Jib today. The lakes are all clear of ice finally so hopefully by the time the boat gets here in a couple weeks, the water will have warmed a bit. This has been the longest winter I can remember. The kayak is Seamark blue with a yellow velcro spray cover. I ordered both solo ribs, comfort seats and a few other things. I am so excited and I just want to say thank you to Mark and Tammy for their help. It is very refreshing to have a wonderful buying experience and great advice.

I also want to say that Patti from Kuvia (Kayaksailor) has gone out of her way to answer many questions I have had over the long winter and made the decision easy for me. I am looking forward to a great kayaking season with my wife and our new craft.

If you have any suggestions after buying these two products ie. what you did or didn't buy but later did buy or wish you had or had not...now would be a great time to chime in. I could add it to the list to be shipped or to the wish list for later.

Thanks! BTW, thanks to you all for making the buying decisions easier with all of the great advice. I am impressed with the knowledge we are able to tap into on this forum. So kudos to you all too.

While I'm at it, thanks to my lovely wife for indulging me and letting me buy this great equipment. We are going to have a blast!

Advanced Elements Convertible
2015 Windrider 17 white w/white & black sails

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:54 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

It all sounds great to me. In dealing with these two companies you are talking direct to the owners and that is a plus, i don,t have a Longhaul but i have corresponded with Patti and Dave on numerous occasions and they are a nice couple. Don,t forget, as soon as you can, post photos here and in the Kayaksailor gallery. You both are going to like that sail outfit. I envy your lake thawing, my local one still has about 3 feet of ice on it,i think, i am also about 70 miles from Lake Superior but it will still be too cold for me and possibly frozen around the edges.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:40 pm 
faltbootemeister

John, have you ever been to Pictured Rocks National Seashore in the MI UP? Lake Superior is a huge place so I guess you could be in any of 3 states or Canada. Where have you kayaked on Superior? My wife and I are joining a tour at Pictured Rocks in early July. They are letting us use the MK2. In fact the owner of the outfitter is anxious to see our boat to evaluate it. I hope we can represent it well. By early July I hope to be an experienced MK2 user. In fact we may try to get out on a lake the weekend it comes. We can't use the KS while with the tour (10 miles in 7 hr) but the next days we will be able to while on our own. I lucked out and bought a 2 for one deal on the tour. We decided to go with a guide and others because Superior is dangerous and beautiful at the same time. Help will be close by if needed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:06 am 

I have not been to the pictured rocks. In July the lake is often very calm. My kayaking on Superior has been in the area from Pukaskwa National Park down to Terrace Bay on the Canadian side. This year i want to go out to the Slate Islands where camping is allowed, these islands are about 7 miles out from Terrace Bay. Superior can be as calm as a mill pond, but it can get rough very quickly and sometimes dense fog is present. The lake has cold water all year and it,s tempreture dosn,t vary much between winter and summer, but of course air temp,s do. On a sunny day in winter if the lake is calm and the air very cold "steam" can be seen rising from the lake as it is cooling down. Of course there are many lakes in my area some quite large and i am often the only kayaker on the lake, sometimes the only boat which is nice. It is possible to kayak the full length of Lake Superior 350 miles or part of it with a guide or alone, the outfit that does the guiding is the "Naturally Superior Adventures Paddling Centre" www. rockislandlodge.ca who are near the mouth of the Michipicoten river outside Wawa. Another trip i am doing this year is in the Chapleau Crown Game Preserve, i will be going to the Missinaibi Provincial Park, another place where there are pictographs on the rocks or cliffs along the shore of Missinaibi Lake.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:45 am 
faltbootemeister

Sounds great John. I have read about people that circumnavigate Lake Superior during the summer and it sounds beautiful.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:43 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Frank,

Congrats, nice choice and a great investment. Did you get the special mount for the Kuvia that Gerald at Klepper America designed? If not, you might want to look into that. And, as my wife's grandmother would say, with a thick Russian accent, "use it vell!".

But I just gotta ask. Can you actually circumnavigate a lake? I know you can ambunavigate a body of water. Or maybe perimnavigate? Just askin. :D

Greg

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:12 am 
faltbootemeister

You can circumnavigate the planet so why not the largest body of fresh water on the planet? I have checked into the Klepper America mount but wonder if the mount puts the leeboards up out of the water more than they should be. I talked to Patti at Kuvia and that was one of her concerns. However, I have watched a video of their sail on a Klepper A2 sailing just fine. If anyone has any real sailing experience with the mount, a KS sail on a Klepper or MK2 or other similar boat I would appreciate knowing how well it tacks or jibes that high off the water.

Any other options that make the kayak better?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:25 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Frank,

I have used the Klepper America mount for the Kayaksailor on my Quattro and AE2, and it works just fine. Ideally I would like the leeboards to be 3-4 inches longer but they are fine as is. The windward board will actually leave the water on a good reach. I spoke with Dave and Patti about making a longer model but the cost of another fiberglass mold makes it prohibitive given the relatively small number of their rigs that end up on folders.

And a spray deck is a must for sailing, especially if you are in the big waves of Lake Michigan.

It will also take you a while to figure out the right paddle, especially the length. That is a wide beam you have and I prefer a 240cm when paddling from the solo position. But don't take my word for it, some say anything longer than 220cm is an invitation to shoulder injury.

Greg

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:54 am 
faltbootemeister

Thanks Greg. I use a 240 Werner Camano now. I will call Klepper America and talk to them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:01 pm 

Of course you can paddle around Lake Superior, it has been done, about 1500 miles. Now the lee boards on the Kayaksailor sail. You can make longer ones out of ply or just plain wood, i would say about 3/4 to 1 inch thick to stop the vibrations which i had on 3/8 ply, i am going to make mine thicker for this year.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:36 pm 
faltbootemeister

FrankP wrote:
Well boys & girls and gifted animals, I ordered my MK2 (stretch length) kayak and Kayaksailor 1.6 M sail & Jib today. The lakes are all clear of ice finally so hopefully by the time the boat gets here in a couple weeks, the water will have warmed a bit. This has been the longest winter I can remember. The kayak is Seamark blue with a yellow velcro spray cover. I ordered both solo ribs, comfort seats and a few other things. I am so excited and I just want to say thank you to Mark and Tammy for their help. It is very refreshing to have a wonderful buying experience and great advice.

I also want to say that Patti from Kuvia (Kayaksailor) has gone out of her way to answer many questions I have had over the long winter and made the decision easy for me. I am looking forward to a great kayaking season with my wife and our new craft.

If you have any suggestions after buying these two products ie. what you did or didn't buy but later did buy or wish you had or had not...now would be a great time to chime in. I could add it to the list to be shipped or to the wish list for later.

Thanks! BTW, thanks to you all for making the buying decisions easier with all of the great advice. I am impressed with the knowledge we are able to tap into on this forum. So kudos to you all too.

While I'm at it, thanks to my lovely wife for indulging me and letting me buy this great equipment. We are going to have a blast!

Congratulations! Enjoy it, stay, safe, stay happy...:)

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:43 pm 

Frank, a Greenland paddle will be much easier on the shoulder joints when paddling solo. I have a 230 Eric Shrade (sp) that I love. I think the blade tapers out to about 5 inches which is a little wider than most typical GP paddles. It will move the AII nicely and is very low impact compared to my 240 Werner Camano.

On the kayak sailor, if you are going to mount the rig further forward you might talk with Mark about putting in some webbing eyes for the KS mount. The lifeline eye's may do, but you might want to check on the placement. I do think that the mount that Gerald makes is a really good fit on the AII & MKII. I've sailed in both. On the MKII I sat in front and I don't remember having to move back or out of the way of the boom. It was very comfortable sitting up front with the sail rig. It also makes us control freaks want to sit up front to mess with the sail... ha. I also think the GG mount puts the sail in a better position than mounting if forward. It's not that big a sail and there is already plenty boat following behind it.

The only thing that I don't like about the GG mount is that it flexes quite a bit under load. In terms of safety this is a bonus as the sail will dump more wind in gusty conditions. In terms of efficiency... it's dumping more in gusty conditions... that could be better used in propelling the rig forward. I don't know that any mount on the Skin on Frame hulls that we have will prevent this flex... I certainly don't think strapping it to the hull will. The only solution I could see is duplicating Gerald's design with a thicker heavier platform. For now, I'm happy with Gerald's mount, really happy. Super easy to rig and you can easily be sailing within 45 minutes of opening the package for the first time. That is a beautiful thing.

By the way, CONGRATULATIONS on your new baby!

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:53 pm 
faltbootemeister

Thanks D. Very excited! It should be here before May 1 or close. Thanks for the help on the Klepper America mount. I ordered one.