Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:32 pm 
faltbootemeister

We tested the limits of our boat just before the tremendeous wind pressure pushed the bow deeper under water. The wake was serious...:) We were doing about 13 knts and the U-Boat was vibrating and singing...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 4219_n.jpg

As far as we are concerned, the Long Haul Mark II Commando is the ultimate folding expedition kayak. Tested and verified.

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Wow, I'll second that verification... What was your lovely wife thinking at that moment? I know what I would have been thinking... ha.

13 knots, I think that's the highest speed I've heard for sailing a folder. I've never seen it.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:06 pm 
faltbootemeister

DLee wrote:
Wow, I'll second that verification... What was your lovely wife thinking at that moment? I know what I would have been thinking... ha.

13 knots, I think that's the highest speed I've heard for sailing a folder. I've never seen it.

d

The wake was incredible, like a motor boat...:) That was the GPS speed right before the bow was getting deeper and deeper, which slowed the boat down... the mast was arching forward, the frame was vibrating and singing and we were getting ready for bail out in case it broke in two parts along the middle section. 13 knts is not the ideal speed for its body shape... but it held together and nothing popped or broke... We were grateful because we were fully loaded on decks and under the decks. Lots of gear... a broken kayak in open sea would have been quite an unwanted headache...:)

Now you understand why we nicknamed our yak the U-Boat...:)

Getting ready for an easy paddle/sail around Bar Harbour.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:21 pm 
faltbootemeister

I'm glad I'm getting the same kayak except the stretch length but not the Commando. So glad the MK2 is so sturdy. Should make my wife feel safer now. Thanks for sharing that photo.

BTW, how long was the bow under water and how much slower did your speed drop? How heavy were the seas? Did the speed and wind pressure alone take the bow down or was it a combination of heavy sea and speed?

Advanced Elements Convertible
2015 Windrider 17 white w/white & black sails

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:54 pm 
faltbootemeister

FrankP wrote:
I'm glad I'm getting the same kayak except the stretch length but not the Commando. So glad the MK2 is so sturdy. Should make my wife feel safer now. Thanks for sharing that photo.

BTW, how long was the bow under water and how much slower did your speed drop? How heavy were the seas? Did the speed and wind pressure alone take the bow down or was it a combination of heavy sea and speed?

The sea was pretty flat... the tail wind, more like 60 degrees from the back, gave us quite a bit of speed...:) We sailed like that, in and out, for about two hours, then we reefed the sail because we were concerned with a frame fracture... The Long Haul is really well built...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:00 am 
faltbootemeister

Not being experienced as a sailor, I have one question: given each sail configuration has a center of work or force, does that create a top speed for each boat and after that the wind pushes the boat deeper into the water since it cannot go faster?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:43 am 
faltbootemeister

FrankP wrote:
Not being experienced as a sailor, I have one question: given each sail configuration has a center of work or force, does that create a top speed for each boat and after that the wind pushes the boat deeper into the water since it cannot go faster?

It seems so. But I defer to more experienced kayak sailors.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:19 pm 

With an experience like that you must be one of the experienced kayak sailors around, or you soon will be. I have done 13 knots in an Aerius 2 using a Pacific Action sail (their largest). The wind was about gale force and when i put up the sail, the boat accelerated from the beach, it was a one way trip down a lake and the bow didn,t go under, i was in the rear seat, I had no chance to take photos, how was yours taken?. When i went to the lake i said "only an idiot would go out in this" so i went. Being a realativly small lake the waves were not as big.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:28 pm 
faltbootemeister

john allsop wrote:
With an experience like that you must be one of the experienced kayak sailors around, or you soon will be. I have done 13 knots in an Aerius 2 using a Pacific Action sail (their largest). The wind was about gale force and when i put up the sail, the boat accelerated from the beach, it was a one way trip down a lake and the bow didn,t go under, i was in the rear seat, I had no chance to take photos, how was yours taken?. When i went to the lake i said "only an idiot would go out in this" so i went. Being a realativly small lake the waves were not as big.

For some reason I never consider myself experienced in anything..:) I just try things... sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't..:)

We load our boat with a lot of gear, under the deck and on the deck. 60 litres of fresh water, 5-6 litres of beer, 2 litres of Red Bull..:) food for two weeks, camping gear, clothing, video equipment, batteries, solar panel, etc.... it is a heavy barge that we trust with our life... once again, it is a boat designed for long trips to remote places.

The frame is part of a much, much, much longer video. The video camera was mounted on a jib attached to the bow mast. We have two masts, the center one for the sail and the bow one for the camera.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:13 pm 

By trying "things" you do become experienced over time, it,s something you can,t buy. I have only buried the nose of the Aerius going down large waves and it goes under at the bottom of the trough then rises out to climb up the next wave.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:02 pm 
faltbootemeister

john allsop wrote:
By trying "things" you do become experienced over time, it,s something you can,t buy. I have only buried the nose of the Aerius going down large waves and it goes under at the bottom of the trough then rises out to climb up the next wave.

As far as I am concerned, this is one of the best qualities of a "folder"... it doesn't jump/bounce on every wave... i find it very easy and convenient to put in, or land, in the surf because of that bow going under... i don't need the yak to jump the way rigid hulls do. I like the flex a lot. It is very useful in the surf.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:34 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

As my kids would say..."Holy Crap!".

Thanks for sharing that, I hope you have also sent this great pic to Mark at Long Haul. I made 9 knots with the help of a 20+ knot tail wind and surfing down a wave, but I tip my cap to you guys. Nice.

Moderator, please consider moving this thread to "I don't normally sail like this and neither should you!"

Thanks for the great post.

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:27 pm 
faltbootemeister

gbellware wrote:
As my kids would say..."Holy Crap!".

Thanks for sharing that, I hope you have also sent this great pic to Mark at Long Haul. I made 9 knots with the help of a 20+ knot tail wind and surfing down a wave, but I tip my cap to you guys. Nice.

Moderator, please consider moving this thread to "I don't normally sail like this and neither should you!"

Thanks for the great post.

g

Problem is, we like to sail as fast as the wind allows it..:) Obviously, the boat can take the stress even when fully loaded, so, why not?...:)

I guess you never saw the entire video...:)

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 2185_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 6628_n.jpg

I hope the moderator doesn't change anything and leaves the post as is...:)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:55 am 
faltbootemeister

G is right you have to send these pictures to Mark. They are better than the pics he has of the military using a Commando.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:47 pm 
faltbootemeister

FrankP wrote:
G is right you have to send these pictures to Mark. They are better than the pics he has of the military using a Commando.

Our pics are just peaceful images of nature loving tourists...:) Not a good advertising for the "commando"..:) We paddle/sail only on longer trips and we can testify that our boat is excellent for longer term expeditions.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.637478229602266.1073741825.100000202830777&type=1