Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:45 pm 
faltbootemeister

The U-Boat and its crew are ready for a new test, paddling and sailing the cold waters of the Northern Atlantic Coast. We'll test new dry suits, so we wouldn't mind a self-imposed wet exit...:)

Problem is that the U-Boat is almost impossible to capsize...

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

Last edited by DoiNomazi on Mon May 13, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:17 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Water exits in dry suits are quite fun. I love my dry suit. Probably the best single investment I made... beyond the boat... ha.

But there is one important piece of equipment you will want to have if you don't have it already for wet exits. An electric water pump. Take a sail with your Balogh sans outriggers... that should be quite entertaining. There are quite a few little lakes up north of the city in Westchester Co. that are good for doing this if you want to just spend some time rolling the boat and practicing re-entry. It's a good way to practice in a safe environ and you don't have to deal with all the salt water afterwards.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:52 pm 
faltbootemeister

DLee wrote:
Water exits in dry suits are quite fun. I love my dry suit. Probably the best single investment I made... beyond the boat... ha.

But there is one important piece of equipment you will want to have if you don't have it already for wet exits. An electric water pump. Take a sail with your Balogh sans outriggers... that should be quite entertaining. There are quite a few little lakes up north of the city in Westchester Co. that are good for doing this if you want to just spend some time rolling the boat and practicing re-entry. It's a good way to practice in a safe environ and you don't have to deal with all the salt water afterwards.

d

We need to play with the tide and the cold water, so we'll go to Maine... This test will be like rolling in the bathtub compared to the next trip in August...:)

If we can't roll it without the sail, we'll just slide in the water for a swim. We have a nice looking manual bilge pump.

We always rinse and clean the salt, no biggie.

Thank you for the good advice.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:29 pm 

cool, you gonna try sailing w/o the BOSS? Probably a good idea to start reefed. One more great item to have for bailing; canvas buckets. Lot's of volume out quick. When the bucket starts getting tougher to fill move to the pump. That's why I like the electric. I'll turn it on and then bail with the bucket.

I'd love to hear how Maine works out. We might end up there this summer as well. Meanwhile I'll be sailing Jamaica Bay this weekend. Looking forward to some new water... even if it is a little contained.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:39 pm 
faltbootemeister

Thank you. Good idea with the bucket... Usually I use plastic bottle cut in half, but this time I'll try a canvas contraption EMS sell as "camping sink".. small enough, collapsible, light.

Can't afford batteries for electric bilge pump. Too bulky and heavy on longer trip when every cubic inch matters. I'd take water and food over any electric gizmos..:)

Post some pics from Jamaica Bay. Maybe we should paddle there sometime.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:31 am 
forum fan

Very nice pictures and films, indeed!
How do you manage to keep the camera still and in right direction on your pole? Is it a special equipment or some stuff you have developed yourselfs?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:53 pm 
faltbootemeister

markusf wrote:
Very nice pictures and films, indeed!
How do you manage to keep the camera still and in right direction on your pole? Is it a special equipment or some stuff you have developed yourselfs?

Thank you. Nothing special, a pole, a grip and a boom.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:47 pm 

Mark, check out B&H photo - a carbon fibre sound boom would be fabulous, but $$$. There is a bunch of neat grip stuff there as well. But considering price and the fact that this stuff could be used out in saltwater; a standard fishing rod holder might do the trick.

As a matter of fact now that you've got me thinking about it, I might be able to put my all time favorite Czech fishing rod back to use. I broke it out in CA 13 years ago and I still get weepy when I think of that moment and the monumental stupidity that broke it... but, thanks to your inquiry... I may have just brought it back to life. SWEET! Silstar 4 meter telescoping by the way... but forgive my diversion... a good rod holder (Scotty?) and a lightweight aluminum rod like the Klepper boom might do just the trick. You could probably make a bamboo rod as well. You'd probably want to tighten it into the rod holder with some foam or something to keep it from rolling around. I have been using one of these UltraPod's for years. Everything from flashes to cameras. I used it today with the GoPro; works fantastic, just get the tripod adaptor. You can strap this onto a boom, branch, paddle, mast, etc. I've even strapped it to a large tripod! I strapped it to the car mirror today, ha.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=239957&is=REG&Q=&A=details

The question I have for Doi is: How do you keep your GoPro batteries charged? I was able to pick up a GP for a recent job and I can't believe how quickly the thing chews through batteries. The most disappointing thing of all is how quickly the WiFi kills it. I may need to update firmware, but man oh man.

You've mentioned before Doi that you don't like batteries and battery chargers. What's your secret? Solar power ~ Pelican case?

I'm really looking forward to playing with the GoPro out on the water. Unfortunately I've already damaged the underwater housing's lens by photographing an iron pipe being cut with a huge gas driven grinding wheel. Fortunately though, this glass is replaceable.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:00 pm 
faltbootemeister

DLee wrote:
Mark, check out B&H photo - a carbon fibre sound boom would be fabulous, but $$$. There is a bunch of neat grip stuff there as well. But considering price and the fact that this stuff could be used out in saltwater; a standard fishing rod holder might do the trick.

As a matter of fact now that you've got me thinking about it, I might be able to put my all time favorite Czech fishing rod back to use. I broke it out in CA 13 years ago and I still get weepy when I think of that moment and the monumental stupidity that broke it... but, thanks to your inquiry... I may have just brought it back to life. SWEET! Silstar 4 meter telescoping by the way... but forgive my diversion... a good rod holder (Scotty?) and a lightweight aluminum rod like the Klepper boom might do just the trick. You could probably make a bamboo rod as well. You'd probably want to tighten it into the rod holder with some foam or something to keep it from rolling around. I have been using one of these UltraPod's for years. Everything from flashes to cameras. I used it today with the GoPro; works fantastic, just get the tripod adaptor. You can strap this onto a boom, branch, paddle, mast, etc. I've even strapped it to a large tripod! I strapped it to the car mirror today, ha.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=239957&is=REG&Q=&A=details

The question I have for Doi is: How do you keep your GoPro batteries charged? I was able to pick up a GP for a recent job and I can't believe how quickly the thing chews through batteries. The most disappointing thing of all is how quickly the WiFi kills it. I may need to update firmware, but man oh man.

You've mentioned before Doi that you don't like batteries and battery chargers. What's your secret? Solar power ~ Pelican case?

I'm really looking forward to playing with the GoPro out on the water. Unfortunately I've already damaged the underwater housing's lens by photographing an iron pipe being cut with a huge gas driven grinding wheel. Fortunately though, this glass is replaceable.

d

I don't hate batteries, I just respect them...:)

Yes, the GP3 with WiFi engaged chews fast through the batteries... unfortunately. Have enough batteries for the duration of the journey/planned actual shooting time and bring along a solar charger. That's what we do. For all its benefits, ironically, the GP is not our primary camera while kayaking. During this last trip in the Gwaii Haanas the GP3 provided less than a quarter of the raw footage. As much as I like the rugged GP, I am not too crazy about its aesthetics and limited adjustments. The GP camera is best for extreme sports/action, people jumping from planes, etc. but, at least to us, less useful when touring in a kayak... :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:21 pm 
The GP3 is a battery hog so I bought a add on battery. It comes with a bigger camera back to fit the additional battery. It still draws the 2 batteries down too fast. I like the GP as I always have liked wide angle photography. I did have to return my first GP 3 because it stopped working. I hope the second is bug free. Just one more good reason to buy from REI. I am planning on rigging up some sort of pole to mount near the bow to take unobstructed videos. If you have any mounting ideas please reply.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:43 pm 
faltbootemeister

FrankP wrote:
The GP3 is a battery hog so I bought a add on battery. It comes with a bigger camera back to fit the additional battery. It still draws the 2 batteries down too fast. I like the GP as I always have liked wide angle photography. I did have to return my first GP 3 because it stopped working. I hope the second is bug free. Just one more good reason to buy from REI. I am planning on rigging up some sort of pole to mount near the bow to take unobstructed videos. If you have any mounting ideas please reply.

We are going off topic. We should move the conversation about the GP camera and how much it sucked from day one of its release somewhere else.